BC Boards

stopping short on one side

Guest Jenn

Hi Amanda,

My BC just turned a year and I started her ~9month. She is very nicely bread.

She loves to walk into the sheep, even very heavy sheep. She just makes them walk without nipping or running into them or being stupid. She makes very nice outruns on the Away side, nice and wide. She stops correctly on her own and lift them carefully. I know, that sound like a dream and it is as long as it is the away side. Now here comes the comeby side and the dream is over. I literally have the feeling that she hates that side. I meanwhile have her that far that she makes a square flank of from the sheep without stepping into them again this problem only exists on the comeby side. If I make an outrun with her on the comeby side she is stopping short at 9-10 and walks straight into the sheep. This happen even if they are really short.

As soon as she turns into the sheep I stop her and try it again until she goes all the way. This gets really frustrating not only for me but also for her and sometimes she quits working. I will get her back with a lot of praise or I just send her away and she is happy again.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should handle this or what kind of exercises I can do?

Thank you

Jenn

PS sorry for my cryptic English I am not a native speaker.

Jenn

In a one year old, I would not make a federal issue of it. She will grow past it. Fighting with infants are fights rarely won, so you need to cajole her and coax her. Don't go for the whole outrun at first. It must be that she is showing you resistance at hand on the left flank as well--not just on the outrun. Start your fixing there. Create spots where a left flank is required, where you step so far to the right of the sheep, she has to go left to get it right. Do it in increments. Let her see that the left flank has to be, in order to cover sheep. Get her accustomed to it. Lots of dogs are one sided. No arguement is worth demoralizing a young dog, save savaging sheep. Do not send her out to the left until you have sorted her at hand and then only gradually send her further. I would draw back from the outruns altogether, left or right, until you beat the one sided problem, which is by the way not uncommone. Just don't get in a fight over it.

Amanda