BC Boards

overrunning

Guest Bart

One of my border collies overruns the sheep and starts circling sometimes when I send him on a fetch. It is caused sometimes because the sheep won't move but other times he just does it on his own. Any exercise that will stop this? We also have a situation that I might be causing. I have to bring the sheep sometimes a couple of blocks back to my house and if there are cars coming I will start running and it causes him run ahead of the sheep and try to catch up to me. My other BC is still too intense when I send him. He is getting better should I just wait until he figures out he doesn't have to run so fast every time?

Thanks for the advise about kenneling, it has made a big difference.

Overshooting is a better problem than stopping short, but what you are describing, the progression to circling the sheep is depraved. A ringer. That is a dog that needs to be stopped at the right place--directly behind the sheep. Stopping him in the right place will be your responsibility. The sheep failing to move is his. He might be ringing them out of frustration but the problem is still not forgiveable. If he really cannot move them when stopped at the right place, you better help him, and fast. Help it do what ever it takes to move them, short of ringing--grips, cheap shots, whatever, get him moving them freely and sort out the stylistic problems later.

The joining you on the run, reflects a similar failure on your part to stop him at the back of the sheep. He shouldn't be anywhere near you.

The third question--still too intense--Running out fast is not a problem, if at the same time the dog is to tight or slams into his sheep up top and makes a mess, his outrunning is problematic, but his speed getting there would be desireable if he was good when he arrived at the top. I am not watching so you will either have to defer to the coach I imagine you have sought or figure out what the problem is on your own. Isn't Karen Child near you?

I am so pleased you have locked up your dogs. Maybe others who need to on this list will follow suit.

Regards

Amanda

who is karen child, do you have contact information?

How many times a week and for how long should I be working my dogs? The interesting thing about locking them up is that they don't seem to mind. They will hang back and try to get out of it if I would let them but once they know I am going to insist they walk in willingly even when they know one of the other dogs is going to work. By the way he can move them, I think I have caused this by letting him get away with too much before. One of the byproducts of kenneling my oldest one is that he now looks for instruction from me where before he just ignored me.