BC Boards

over eager

Guest Amelia

hi Amanda. wow, free advice from a real expert. how decent of you. i'm helping a good friend with a 14 month old bitch that, at the moment, 1. has little balance, 2. while fetching doesn't mind leaving some behind 3. exhibits precious little feel for her sheep and 4. occasionally chases and savages sheep. i can work on 1, 2 and 4, but am wondering , given the other issues, what would you do to teach her feel. she was spoiled badly as a puppy but is fearless, athletic, keen as can be and oh-so-fast. the owner was fearful that her spirit would have to be "broken" to get her trained and I replied that the only way to do that is with a shotgun. got the picture? i've got her attention after 5 days in the round pen and a small field and she now has a good stop. thanks in advance for your reply. how nice to have you so available. this is fun! amelia

OK

Here is a likely replacement for me, when everyone gets tired of my "expert" advice, asking a question. I believe it's a trick.

Amelia.

Your number three issue, exhibiting "precious little feel for her sheep" is not so bad for a fourteen month old. That is a kindergarten kid, unless you are a rabid nurseryite. I imagine its feel for its sheep will come in the fullness of time in your capable hands. But I would give such a dog sheep that are not too doggy. I would let it work, and scold it for causing commotion and I mean sheep commotion. If they are too doggy, unreasonable behaviour from the dog won't get a rise out of the sheep, and you don't get to teach them much discretion. I would not be too severe with the scolding--just enough to get its attention

I'd do all that a lot like you would do it.

yours

Amanda

Dear Lady, certainly no trick. i'm humbled by your generous comments, but i'm just a student with a better open dog than i am a handler. not an expert by anyone's measure. i'm not a rabid nurseryite, but do like to move things along. we're blessed with our wonderful dogs for such a short time. teach discretion...i'll endeavor to do it like you would. thank you