BC Boards

Question from a previous post

Guest Nancy Obernier

Guest Nancy Obernier

Have a question about doing work types of things with him or any other dog. Do you require the dog to do things correctly when doing these types of jobs? Lets say I am moving a group out of a holding pen and want to move them to the lower field, if the dog goes in willy nilly and is making a mess out of getting them out of the pen, do you reset it up and if needed, reposition yourself so that he does it correctly, or just let him try and figure it out for himself? Or if you've asked the dog for a flank while moving sheep towards the chute system and he slices it, do you correct him and have him do it right? I guess what I am asking is, do you allow poor workmanship when doing these types of jobs or do you insist that the dog work correctly?

Nancy O

Nancy

I am easier while on the job, depending how serious I consider the transgression. The slicing the flank I would scold in passing. If it was a dog whose gripping stuck in my craw, I might smack him on the face and tell him to stop, but I'd get right on with the job. On the other hand, if the dog was not normally a serious gripper and had to do it to carry on, I'd let it and mentally thank him for the grip. I would try not to let too much interfere with the focus on the job. If they were absolutely undermining the job, I would insist in a change in the work ethic.

I cannot for instance, see a dog working behind my flock of sheep when they all have new lambs--too big, too much mayhem and noise. It is hard work back there and I leave the dogs to their own devices. What I don't see I can't do much about and usually they learn to work it out.

So do I allow poor workmanship? I guess I do. But if it's bad enough, I do not.