BC Boards

moving forward with shedding

Guest Michele

Guest Michele

Hi Amanda....I have a three year old that I have been working on shedding.

She started out hesitant to come through.....now she is coming through too fast (not every time....but often enough) flying past me to swing and head the group running off.....she will initially turn on the correct sheep but not long enough to commit.

When things go well....I make it a job for her to see a reason to my madness.

When she flies in.....I don't really think she is listening after hearing the call in, and just try to gain her attention with out making too big a deal of it.

Also, after we I get past this training bump....can you suggest some excersises to progress down to singles? I have just been working on call in's on small sets off the group....I share a field that we keep roughly 16 head.....as well as having 15 at home to work with...because of our location we can not change sheep as often as we should.... Thanks

Michele

You are pushing the "expert's" ability to comment on what you are up to without watching. So many "...............". I can't tell where they're leading. I trying to fill in the blanks.

Always ask your dog to take the last sheep on the head, so they expect it. You say she turns on the correct sheep: I hope they are the last ones and that's what you mean by correct. Since she flies in, promptly lie her down. Do not call her in, without making it easy for her to do so. No failures. No (not everytime....but often enough). Dogs confused about shedding should be made to be successful. What does success breed?

Teach her to watch your body language for making the hole. Help make the hole so she knows where to come in. Do not let it be a random charge.

Shedding at its best, is the most lyrical part of trialling. But such lyricism requires an extremely high level of communication between dog and hand. Neither dog nor hand learns those nuances swiftly. It takes time and practice--lots of it.

If you are shedding your groups as you should, singling is a logical flow from it

Amanda

Guest Michele

Thanks.....yes asking always to come in on the heads.What I meant is she will come in on heads....and then is quick to loose focus and turns to the sheep that have left and or she blows through the gap ...without listening to my stop (yes I realise I just answered part of my question...the stop!).....I will have her walk off the ones she has headed when it is right....but that can sometimes result in a bop on a nose as the sheep are not wanting to "play the game" and looking to get back to their buddies. She is getting better....and I know some of it is myself getting worked up and transferring it to my dogs....ask anyone who has witnessed me on a trialfield : (

I will keep at it....thanks again....I have been enjoying reading your thoughts on our problems.