BC Boards

She's now 6 months old

Guest mjplant

Guest mjplant

I stopped letting my young B/c loose on sheep and stopped training her left and right as suggested.

She had her first outing around sheep last week. We simply let her run around a mob while an older experienced dog worked it. I had to pull her away from the sheep at the end of the session.

She started taking left and right flank commands that were given to the other dog and has since started to herd our old lab' placing herself directly behind moving to the left or right as I move around. She now heads anything that moves.

I am having a few problems with her not coming, when called particuarly when something else is happening. I realise she is only young, but this concerns me as it is both a safety issue and may become a learned habit if not corrected.

I correct her verbally, then resort to holding her on her back, growling while holding her muzzle and staring her in the eyes until I feel I have her total and undivided attention.

I send her away to play, call her back, make a huge fuss of her when she returns, this works for a short time then I have to re-do the exercise. I don't want to be too hard on her as she is only a puppy. Is there something else you could suggest I try or do you think I should just persevere with what I am doing and wait for her to mature and get the message.

Kaitaia new zealand

Coming when called is a very fundamental requirement of a sheepdog. Correct it with whatever it takes.

I even resort to keeping snacks in my pocket--my dogs love cheese curd, and give them one when they come as called.

Do not call them when you suspect they won't come. Remember saying something while they are doing it, whatever, trains them to do as you are saying at the time. Do not repeatedly call them while they are paying no attention whatsoever. The "staring in the eyes" thing is a bit over the top. I might not want to come if you did that to me.

If she doesn't care about the snacks, she will if she's hungry. Coming is urgently important. The eye contact is of no account.

Amanda canada

She has to want to come to you. So as Amanda says only good things should happen when she comes. Don't call her for a bath, to end play, or for anything negative - go get her. If she is voluntarily coming, then call her to reinforce the command. If you need her to come and she is not on lead then lure her with a toy or treats (never go out without them).

To increase the chance of her coming, half crouch, turn in the direction you want her to go, (don't face her) and clap and/or call in a high pitched tone using repeated short sounds - pup, pup, pup. Run away, if necessary.

Guest mjplant

Thanks, I'll tried each in turn tonite and she was a lot better and I tried the crouch technique as suggested also used the snack approach which worked really well, she has an endless appetite as she is growing so fast. I really noticed the difference after only one session so I'll keep using these techniques. It was interesting that after only a few attempts even though she was distracted by the older dog she still came which was very encouraging. Hard enough being the new kid on the block let alone the new kid with a dog that won't listen to even basic commands.

Cheers