BC Boards

training patience

Guest Lori

Hi Amanda-

I'm befuddled about how I should be winter training my young dog (just turned 2) to help him learn some patience on sheep that need to be pushed. He started as a bit of a hot headed youngster, but didn't do any real damage so I didn't make a big deal out of it, and he did seem mostly to grow out of it, with work & mileage. He trialed successfully at the nursery level last year as a one year old.

However, he ran in some late autumn trials on sheep that either needed to be pushed or were challenging dogs. I saw something of a pattern that he would handle the situation calmly for a portion of the course and then lose his cool on some part of the drive and buzz or grip.

What should I be doing in training to help work through this? I don't know whether I should be backing him off and enforcing pace, and maybe walking with him? He will move forward when asked. Or, should I be letting him come on with more speed and push and try to avoid the situation before it happens? If he blows up, should I correct him harshly? He doesn't seem to have problem working in close quarters in pens or stalls and does have a grip command.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Lori Cunningham

I don't like asking young dogs to back off. I think they should do whatever it takes to move sheep. Having said that, I have lost more than my share of trials to grips. Taking the grip out of a young one is a constant temptation of the sheep dog trialist. Trials and suburban views of grips, require it of us. I think he will grow out of it and if you are too severe with him, you will not have much dog left for later, when it counts. My friend Roddy MacDiarmid does not nursery at all, for the exact reason that you are identifying as a challenge--you have trained this dog up, probably pretty well, and he appears to blow gaskets when the going gets tough. He would likely grow out of it if there is enough dog there. You have good instincts. Go with them.

It might help to create difficulty at home--taking sheep across an icy stream, or through a narrow race. If you think he needs you near, by all means, stay close. But in the end of such training, if my dog needed to grip to get the job done, I would let it. Honour the job at all costs.

Amanda