BC Boards

teaching a shed

Guest judy gambill

Guest judy gambill

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for taking time to answer all these questions!

My question: What are your recommendations for teaching a dog how to shed?

A little background: I have a 6 year old bc rescue who started herding when she was 4. I am also a novice and started MUCH later than my dog. However, she is progressing in spite of me. She has learned flanks well and will take inside or off balance flanks 90 percent of the time. Consequently she is beginning to drive as if she knows this is what is required. She is really developing a good work ethic and has relly grasped the idea that she and I are on the same team. We have sheep, but during the week I get home after dark so can only train on weekends at this time of year.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Judy

Guest Amanda

Hello Judy

Best to use about twenty sheep that can divide into two happily and stay comfortable.

incorporate calling your dog through the sheepp to your feet, into you regular training, almost frm the word go.

I am calling my dog into a group of sheep, when the opportunity presents itelf, when the sheep naturally part. He is not yet one and half, but he is driving well. I call him in, on the head of the last ones and say "this,". Walk towards them and try to make it clear that you want the sheep you have chosen and let the others go away. I never force it early on, as I said, it is when the opportunity comes up. If your sheep are poor at pulling apart, best not to try it or you will likely just confuse him. Do it on other freer sheep or get freer sheep.

Eventually, it is not much of a stretch to take a single, based on the successful separation of a bigger group. Make it easy and make your dog successful.

Take the one you have chosen somewhere deliberate, and far enough away, your dog understands he is on a mission to move these few. They like missions

Amanda