BC Boards

slicing - dog psychology

Guest Empress

Guest Empress

I have a 2.5 male and we are both novices (but this is the dog what brung me so I'm sticking with him).

I'm having trouble training an outrun. If he gets too far he either wants to walk up or head in too directly and then bend out then speed up (tail twist) and slice.

Once he slices he will stop (if asked) or move out wide with more relaxed attitude.

He loves to drive, but I've stopped any of that until we solve this most primary task. Any ideas of how to progress (from both of us close?)

Thanks,

Another Nancy

The outrunning probelm has to solved at hand. tidy turns and if the dog flattens out, resistance, any resemblence of slicing at hand, scold him, march through the sheep and get him out. Accept no slices. It will only give him bad practice. Until he is trustworthy at hand, there is no point in going for a proper outrun from a distance. You understand that some dogs do outrunnning naturally. It makes them easier to train. Johnny Wilson once told me, that for breeding, above all else, you had to have a good outrunner, for there was too much at stake right off the bat, for a dog who was not. So you are right, it is a most primary task.

Good luck

Amanda