BC Boards

Puppy Raising

Guest Teampenner

Guest Teampenner

Hi Amanda,

Could you tell us what kind of things you do with a young pup? I have a new pup (just 14 weeks old). He is fearless, bold as brass and as naughty as can be. :rolleyes: I've just been teaching him basic puppy manners and socialization at this point. He does go to the barn for daily chores so does have a "non-working" exposure to sheep, horses and poultry and is quite comfortable in that environment.

Do you bring your young pups to the barn with you for chores? Do you teach pups a "lie-down" before stock training begins? How much obedience (and what specifically) do you expect to have on a pup before they start on stock? Any other good advice for us hopefuls with new pups?

TIA for your time!

Sharon P.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things with your pup. The barn is nice if there are no dangerous chores going on. Having them with you as much as possible is helpful. I keep mine in the house. In the winter particularly, I cannot spend enough time with them otherwise. I maybe should get a lie down on them before I take them to sheep, but once they snap to the work, lie downs make absolute sense anyway and they learn with joy. I try to develop a working vocabulary with my pup, where it understands my disapprobation and my pleasure. I let them goof around a lot, as you are doing. I do not leave them to their own devices once they have expressed an interest in sheep.

Without supervision, they should never be let loose. Lock them up.

Amanda