BC Boards

Stop Herding

Guest Graci

I am open to suggestions on how to train my 5 month old Border Collie named Graci to stop herding when I say she's done.

Nothing I do will get her attention from herding my horses... I know how smart she is, she is catching the frisbie in the air, kenneling up on command, returning to me after 3 whistles, staying in one place on her rug in the house, etc.

This is pretty much the only thing I am really struggling with. I have thought about putting a long rope on her, and then yanking on it when I call her name, but I am worried it will get caught up with the horses and then Graci will get stepped on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much :rolleyes:

Guest Smokinjbc

Hi- Not The Expert But...

How is this puppy getting so close to the horses to begin with? If you plan on working her on sheep/cattle later- I would not make a big deal of working horses- I would prevent her from even getting that far. Just put her up when you are working with the horses or keep her out of their area. If you are too negative with her about this, you could shut down her desire to work at all.

If she must be around the horses right now, go ahead and put a rope on her and keep her with you at all times. She may still get silly and excited, if so- put her up. If you are trying to ride with her loose- you may want to wait until you have more control on her.

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the suggestion, I think you are right... and as of just yesterday, she was kicked by our 1 1/2 year old Colt, fortunately she is okay, a little loopy for a bit, but hopefully Graci will leave the horses alone now.

I will still put a rope on her though, just in case, so I can have more control over her for now.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Guest Smokinjbc

Hi,

I just re-visited this forum and read your post on the other section. I didn't realize you had been encouraging her to "herd" horses. I see your pup was injured pretty severely- requiring a tail amputation? I just wanted to say that I hope that you will not ever allow that to happen again. No dog should work horses- horses KILL. They are not like sheep or even cattle- its not fair to the horse to be harrassed like that and they can be deadly. Not to mention, I don't think you want your colt to grow up to be a kicker (dog harrassing colt, dog gets kicked and stops- colt gets "rewarded" for kicking- can you see a habit forming there?) Sorry if I sound harsh, but I've known more than one dog seriously injured or killed by a horse- there's no reason for that to happen- horses shouldn't need "herding" if you train them right.