BC Boards

Fast speed and gripping

Guest kimkathan

Guest kimkathan

My young dog is coming along quite well once I get her to slow down and she becomes somewhat tired...haven't we all been there? Any way, I was wondering how I can slow her down some in the begining so we can have a more productive training session. She also grips quite frequently. From watching her, I think this is from still feeling a little under confident. I don't want to take the grip out of her, just not when it's not necessary. Ever herd anyone training with a muzzle? :rolleyes: The few trainers I've taken her to work with have all said she'll most likely always be a fast dog, but there should be a 1st and 2nd gear also, not just 3rd. Any advice on either of these problems?

Guest aurdank

To slow her down, I'd give a "stand" command as soon as she starts her walk-up, which she'll no doubt do too quickly; then give a slow walk-up command ( a more drawn out and softer version of the walk-up whistle), or if on voice, a more drawn out and softer version of "walk up". As soon as she starts walking up more slowly in response, say "steady" or "take time" and let her continue walking in this mode. She'll begin to associate "take time" with slowing down. This is the beginning of teaching her to pace. At some point, when you think she has probably learned "take time", give her that command as soon as she picks up speed. If she doesn't respond, then stand her, and give her the slow walk up command, followed by "take time". In other words, give her a correction. It may be though that she's so speedy that you'll never be able to get her to seriously pace, or to do so for any extended interval before she breaks into a push (one of my older dogs is like this). And therefore you may have to be content with stopping her instead of pacing her whenever she gets too pushy; but if this should be the case, then only use a stand, not a lie-down, otherwise it would be too mechancial. On the gripping, if she bites excessively and randomly, it's because she doesn't feel secure enough that she has control of the stock. You're right not to pressure her too much on this when she's young, as you can take the grip out altogether very easily. On the other hand you don't want her to get into a habit of gripping randomly anywhere she pleases. So, when she grips inappropriately, you might just say lightly "uh-uh", as a tiny admonition. If she grips appropriately, on the nose, or if the sheep do something to provoke, then say "good girl" even if her grip isn't in the right place. This will build her confidence. At some point, when she's a little older, you may wish to teach her to grip on command and on the nose, though I think this is something I've covered in other posts.

Yours,

Albion

Guest aurdank

PS I wouldn't use a muzzle, though you can try. I suspect that as soon as you remove it, the dog will revert to gripping randomly again.

Guest aurdank

Another way to stop random gripping, if she's mentally ready for this, would be to take her into a small pen or at the end of a long chute with two sheep. Hold her on a short leash and corner the sheep. They'll face her and won't really move. Obviously keep her restrained. If she goes to grip for no reason, tap her lightly on the nose with your index finger (wear a glove) and say "Nooo". Repeat this each time she does it inappropriately. If the sheep lower their heads as if to butt, let her grip and say "hit" as she does. Because of her close proximity to their heads, she'll most likely grip on the nose. But you can tap the nose as you say "hit" as well. This will teach her the rights and wrongs of gripping. Being forced not to grip might give her anxiety, but this will be relieved when she is allowed to grip, and it should build her confidence.

Another method, would be to go into a small barn or enclosure and again go to a corner with some sheep. Stand near them in the corner and try to make her circle the sheep without her gripping. Each time she tries to grip block her with body and or crook and say "Noooo". Eventually, she'll relax in this high pressure situation and figure out that she doesn't need to grip, and this will build her confidence.