BC Boards

help!!

Guest corey4475

Guest corey4475

I purchased a pup who is now 3 and a half months old and is doing quite well with her people "manners". I would really like to work my dog with livestock but I am clueless as to how to,when to start and if i need a trainer how and where do i find one. Can someone please help me?

Guest aurdank

Generally a pup isn't taken to stock for regular training until it is mentally ready (say about 9 months)and shows some interest in stock. It may show interest earlier than 9 months but may not be mentally ready and therefore may be unable to take the pressure required in training. Taking a pup prematurely to stock can hurt its develoment as a working dog. So be careful. No doubt you will need a trainer to help you . If you contacted the Georgia Stock Dog ASSN., perhaps Lisa Davis could help you find a good one in your area. Her number, listed in the Working Border Collie Magazine, is 770 479 0029 and the website is www.GSDA.org