BC Boards

At what age?

Rye

At what age can I take my BC puppy to meet sheep for the first time?

I don't plan on competeing hardcore with him or anything, but would like to do it a bit for fun :D.

He just hit 4 months (:rolleyes:) so I am just wondering when I can take him out to meet sheep?

Thanks!

~Emily

Bill's right, but I would also add that it depends very much on the sheep. IF you have well dog-broke sheep that are used to pups and beginning dogs, and will be kind, then I like to get pups near sheep pretty early on. That doesn't mean I'm necessarily training or working them, but I like to see what a pup will do. I like to see the pup show some interest and want to interact with the sheep. For about a minute. I want it to be a good experience with the stock, so that the pup has a good first introduction. But again, I ONLY do this with with sheep that will in no way challenge the pup, and that will stay close to me so I can walk around and see if the pup will follow a bit. So this means that you will have to find a reliable trainer to work with who has appropriate sheep for young 'uns, :rolleyes:

Anna