BC Boards

new to the forum!!

bubbalu21

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum so I'm sure i have the same training questions that everyone wants to know, so sorry if I'm being repetative. 1) Does anyone know of a good trainer in the san fransisco bay area? I live in the east bay and even anything inland wouldnt be bad. 2) Right now my dog ( who is a bc/terrier mix) is almost 6 months old and about 23 pounds. So i'm not real sure how big he is gonna be, but do you all think 30 pounds would be too small? 3)Is the best way to find out if the dog will be a good herding dog to see how he acts around other dogs( ie. circling other dogs) or to see how he reacts to sheep and live stock? My dog hasn't been around a lot of dogs at once but he does stock our other dog when we throw the tennis ball but i dont know if that is a sign or not. Any help i can get with these questions would be great. Thank you all!!

Question two: If you mean, is 30# too small to work on stock, the answer is no, IMO. Raven is about 30.5# and is more than capable of moving sheep, and I believe Julie P has at least one working dog smaller than that (IIRC... isn't either Lark or Kat in the mid 20# range...?)

Question three: I am the rankest of novices on stock, but IMO the "stalking" behavior towards other dogs is not a reliable indicator of working ability... that behavior may owe more to inter-dog dynamics than to stockworking ability. That's just my opinion, though, so with any luck, more experienced working handlers will chime in (and you should listen to them more than to me in this regard.)

Question one: No idea on trainers local to you, but by all means, try it. Your dog might have what it takes, and IMO (as stated above) the best way to know that is to take the dog to stock (preferably with a qualified trainer to help you assess.)

Oh, and welcome to the Boards. :rolleyes:

Welcome. My Lark is 20 something pounds and moves sheep (and cattle) just fine. I have a picture of her from the Bluegrass and she positively looks like a little mite next to the sheep! Most of my dogs are in the mid-30-pounds range (Pip being the exception) and they are not too small to work stock.

AK Dog Doc is correct that "herding" behaviors on dogs or toys are not a reliable indicator (or any indicator at all) of whether the dog has interest or ability to work stock. In your case it may depend on whether your dog has more border collie working characteristics or more terrier working characteristics, and there's only one way to find that out (take him to appropriate stock with an experienced trainer).

I'm sorry I can't help with a trainer, but if you go to www.littlehats.net (a very useful resource) there is a list of trainers by location and you might find someone there.

J.

Hi. Suzy Applegate and Bill Berhow are in the general vicinity. I don't have numbers or emails for them, but a google search should come up with them. I think Suzy's farm name is Hoof n Paw or something like that,

Anna

Another possibility is the San Ramon Sheep Co-op, which is based at Forest Home Farms next to I-680 in San Ramon (of course). Once when I was in the area I tried to track down the person who gives lessons here, whose name is Jan Murphy, I think. I called the main number at Forest Home Farms (925-973-3280) and got a phone number for Jan, but we didn't manage to connect while I was around so I can't tell you any more than that.