BC Boards

Rip in training video

Moss

That was a lot of fun. I notice how you got all the kinks worked out for the gentleman at the end to work him - bahahahahaha! I assume that's who you are training with - I think you said Longton?

I get so annoyed when they take the reins and make it totally obvious that the problems out there lie with ME. :rolleyes:

Is there any Wilson's Spot in Rip? He reminds me of my Ted, when Ted's acting like a Big Dog. I need to get some video.

How old is Rip? Looks like a very nice, direct dog.

Thanks. Rip is 2 years old. The video actually does him a disservice as he usually works much better than that, and I, as a novice handler, probably don't do him any favours :rolleyes: He is a great dog to learn from though :D

That was a lot of fun. I notice how you got all the kinks worked out for the gentleman at the end to work him - bahahahahaha! I assume that's who you are training with - I think you said Longton?

I get so annoyed when they take the reins and make it totally obvious that the problems out there lie with ME. :rolleyes:

Is there any Wilson's Spot in Rip? He reminds me of my Ted, when Ted's acting like a Big Dog. I need to get some video.

:D I was hoping no one would notice my cock ups :D I should have known better :D The guy helping me at the end is one of the farmers who comes to our sheepdog training lessons. I do train with Thomas Longton, but he is at the Bluegrass judging this week.

It is amazing to watch my dogs work for someone who really knows what they are doing ... it is definitely something to work towards. When we move to Scotland I imagine it will be a steep learning curve for us all, but that we will all come on in leaps and bounds.

No, there is no Wilson's Spot in Rip. I can send you his pedigree privately if you would like to see it?

Nice job! You sound like me....at least 2 lie downs to make Pam lie down...and least get up get up for Libby to get out of a down!

I trained with Scott Glen last fall with my new dog libby (Sam Furman's Libby) and he had her "fine tuned" in about 30 sec after I had been working her about 10 min....my husband too seems to have a quiet nature that the dogs listen to...sometimes I might actually shreik :rolleyes: owwww say my dogs!

You have inspired me to video my sessions this weekend....trial at Dal & Kate's next weekend...lambing out 220 lambs has taken precidence over any training.

Cynthia

I was actually fairly impressed by how quiet you were, Kirsty! Now if you'd heard ME in my first days of training, oh my! It's only in the last year I've learned other things to do besides scream, and I only remember if I'm alone and thinking clearly *sigh*. If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like nail. :rolleyes:

I realized watching the video (again), that the main difference between the farmer and you, is that he's getting the corrections in faster. Most likely he's getting his cues from the sheep since it's hard for me to see, looking only at the dog, what he's correcting. That's really helpful for me, thinking about it. Most likely if things are going too fast with Ted or Rocky or I feel like I'm having to be harder on them than the situation warrants, it's because I'm not watching my sheep and correcting things before they get out of hand.

Thanks for sharing! I intend to try to get something up soonish so you can see that you truly have my sympathies training a dog whose main command seems to be, "HEY, steady!" :D

I would definitely be interested in the pedigree. I'm a pedigree fiend. And I'm going to bet there's some connection there - I'm very curious now.

I would definitely be interested in the pedigree. I'm a pedigree fiend. And I'm going to bet there's some connection there - I'm very curious now.

Thanks Becca - your post has made me feel marginally better :D:rolleyes: Would love to see some of your vids though - love watching herding videos :D

I have sent you a PM regarding the pedigree :D

I think you are definitely right about the farmer being able to read the sheep. I remember being told that training the dog is the easy part, it is learning to read sheep that only comes with time, practice and experience.

You have inspired me to video my sessions this weekend....trial at Dal & Kate's next weekend...lambing out 220 lambs has taken precidence over any training.

Cynthia

Excellent :rolleyes: My embarrassment isn't in vain then :D:D I can't wait to see your next training sessions :D

Nothing recent. I don't have anyone around when I've got time to work puppies. Gosh, I think the latest pics I have of Ted working are from when he was not quite eight months (he's ten months old now). We just, just moved into the big field this week so keeping things to a dull roar is a full time job when I'm out there - trying to film him at the same time would be truly impossible.

I may have to move back to the round pen again for a bit. The yearling tups I ahve to use in the big field are somewhat hard for a pup to handle - they aren't very forgiving, which makes it hard to get him going on the path to doing it right. Rocky loves them but Ted keeps getting drawn into battles with them. What I need to do is get him on the ewe flock after we've weaned. Or I need to go over there and borrow those lovely Herdwicks. :rolleyes: