BC Boards

Eye color

Do some border collies have 2 blue eyes? I know they can different colored eyes but am curious about all blue. I'm assuming Bindi gets her blue eyes from the Aussie in her but the daycare owner says she looks all BC to her.

Yes, border collies can have two blue eyes.

Why do you think Bindi is an Aussie mix?

RDM

Yup, I was just admiring several border collies on the other board that have blue eyes. I said I thought Bindi was all border collie the first time you shared pics of her. Perhaps the rescue was just guessing?

That's what the rescue told us. We saw mom and she is definitely BC. Bindi has 1 sibling that is all merle with 2 blue eyes. All the other pups are either tri or black/white like Bindi. Is merle with blue eyes all BC?

Definitely could be--although merle is more common in Aussies than in BCs, you definitely see it in BCs (along with 2 blue eyes) and all kinds of ear types--plus some breeders are intentionally breeding merled BCs (what some folks call the "candy BCs"). Check out Collie Corner to see the wide variety

It can sometimes be hard to visually assess the difference between Aussies, BCs and an AussieXBC (at least IMO)--Aussies are more likely to have docked tails (naturally or not--though of course some BCs tails get docked too as the discussion in another thread showed) and less likely to have pricked ears (but I've seen them with pricked ears). Aussies tend to have somewhat squarer bodies and not as much flexibility as BCs.

From what I've been told by people who've lived with both--Aussies tend to have slightly less inherent desire to please than BCs. A friend of mine described it this way: BCs will twist themselves inside out to figure out what you want them to do and how they should do it. Aussies will figure out what you want and then say, "I've been thinking about this and I have a few different ideas". I have no idea if this holds or not, but it is consistent with what others have reported about the difference.