BC Boards

I got books, vids, and sheep

The sheep won't follow me. Luke wants to stay on the same side of the sheep I am on and just wants to get them against the fence and hold them. This is what I was thinking of doing, I was thinking of putting halters on the sheep then I could maybe work them forward and get him behind at that point and also I could maybe keep them off the fence. Do you guys think that will help me? What are your suggestions? There is NO ONE near me to take lessons from.

Input would be awesome, THANKS! Tara

Tara,

I think trying to drag the sheep with halters would not be very useful (it's not easy unless they are halter broke, and that's a whole 'nother project) and would probably encourage Luke to dive in and "help" you by grabbing sheep. If you want to make the sheep more interested in following you around, try luring them with grain (without Luke) until they are willing to come to you (that is, go out and interact with your sheep, with food, until they see you as a source of good things and will respond to your presence or voice by at least being willing to approach you--don't go overboard and turn them into monsters that knock you down for food though). Your other option is to walk with Luke between the sheep and the fence so he realizes he *can* do that, and in fact, I think I'd try a combination of the two. This is why appropriate (dog-broke) sheep for untrained dogs are so important. Uncooperative, difficult sheep can make it nearly impossible for an inexperienced person (and even experienced ones) to start a dog properly.

J.

Yes I realized dog broke sheep is so important. I am in an area with few sheep and NO dog broke ones, this was all I could get... I have the sheep so they will folow me for grain I can also touch them, but when the dog comes in the grain and me is of no importants.. So I think I will try like you said and work with Luke on the outside and also use grain to get them to follow, they might if he is not in the pen with them.

Thanks a bunch I never thought of that!

Any other tips would be great!

Tara

Tara, if you can find a good trainer that you can take a lesson from (even if you have to drive 5-6 hours to do so), I think it would be worth it's weight in gold to you, and it will help get your dog started out on the right foot.

The only other thing I can add is that you spend more time with your sheep before taking Luke back out to them. Figure out how they act, learn to read their body language, and let them get comfortable with you. The more you learn about and get a feel for livestock and their behavior, the better for you, your dog and any livestock you work.

Ok will do, I have been around A LOT of livestock, just not sheep I have had basically everything else. I have worked a lot of cattle I don't have any but I work them on horse back. I have been spending quite a while with them, I have had them for over a week and just going in with them and getting them to eat grain from a bucket and what not, I just figured they have settled in and could start trying to work them.

I will look for a trainer to go take lessons with... I did notice a decent trainer about 9 hours from where I live is putting on a clinic later this year, I was thinking if I was able to work it out I might go? Can I take a green dog to a clinic? or would that be unfare to the dog?

Thanks again, Tara

Sheep are interesting animals and full of personality! I've had sheep for 14 years now, and I enjoy them (most of the time that is!). I like working my dog on sheep, but I also enjoy my sheep just for the creatures they are. If you are used to other livestock that will help you in getting to know your sheep :rolleyes:

I've never been to a clinic, but I think that most accept novices. If you see one that you're interested in you could always contact the host for more information. I don't think it would be unfair to the dog - everyone has to start somewhere! And a good trainer is used to working with dogs on all different levels. And you would also learn alot by watching the other dogs at a clinic.

I agree that putting halters on the sheep to move them away from the fence is not a feasible idea. Have you tried taking the dog by the collar and steering him to where he's in a position to go between the sheep and the fence, and letting him go as soon as you see him moving to do that? Sometimes that helps in letting him know that he can (and should) peel them off, but you have to be quick on your feet to move away from the fence yourself once he goes through, encouraging him with body language to stay on the fence side of the sheep and balance them toward you. Try sending him through from both sides, because sometimes a dog is more comfortable and willing to do it one way rather than the other to begin with. This is really hard to figure out when you're a beginner, without training help. I think going to that clinic would be an excellent idea. You'll find out for sure when you contact the clinic host, but most clinics do take green dogs.

I agree that putting halters on the sheep to move them away from the fence is not a feasible idea. Have you tried taking the dog by the collar and steering him to where he's in a position to go between the sheep and the fence, and letting him go as soon as you see him moving to do that? Sometimes that helps in letting him know that he can (and should) peel them off, but you have to be quick on your feet to move away from the fence yourself once he goes through, encouraging him with body language to stay on the fence side of the sheep and balance them toward you. Try sending him through from both sides, because sometimes a dog is more comfortable and willing to do it one way rather than the other to begin with. This is really hard to figure out when you're a beginner, without training help. I think going to that clinic would be an excellent idea. You'll find out for sure when you contact the clinic host, but most clinics do take green dogs.

no I haven't tried that. I have only had him in with the sheep twice. He is very brave the one ewe will dive at him bunting and he just stands his ground eyeing her. Mind you she only did that the first time. that may work, I don't think he is afraid to get between them and the fence he is just not sure what to do and I am unsure as well. Bad mixture I know... I am a horse trainer lol and the one thing I stress most with ppl is a green rider and a green horse don't mix!

So to take a clinic the one I found was late summer early fall, do you guys think I should totally drop even trying until then?

He has a lot of drive and wants to work, as I stated above I have horses and he knows he's not allowed in the pens but it drives him nuts so thats why I got the sheep. I have never allowed him to lie and watch the horses.

Tara

Great questions Tara. We are going through the same thing. We've had our sheep for 2 years and they are no friendler than the day we got them. We can go in with them alone but when we add the dog, they run for the hills. We start lessons with our trainer later this month; can't wait. Maybe she can dog break our sheep for us. We only have Aussies; not BCs.