BC Boards

Interesting day at the pen

I did a penning clinic with my 18 mos. old Hamish today. He'd penned with our instructor, but I never had. It was great--we spent the entire day focused only on penning. There were six of us all together and all at various stages of novice-hood. The weather was completely awful, but I learned so much watching so many variations on the same thing.

After being praised for not worrying the sheep and being a steady worker, Hamish got really geeked while watching another dog run and when it was next his turn, he chased after the sheep like a bat out of hell (pardon the expression)--didn't listen to me at all. Corrections administered, the next time around the sheep got away from him and he went chasing after them (again without listening)--but, this time, I helped him figure it out and he did. He got everything back together and brought the sheep to the pen pretty close to perfectly. It wasn't a clean run by any means, but he really seemed to have learned something and I could see it. I also learned a little more about how to practice staying calm and helping him do his job. :rolleyes: It was really cool.