BC Boards

Lamb Coats

Maralynn

For the past several years, I’ve bought a ½ yard of polar fleece type material just before lambing time to use for lamb coats if necessary. That way, if I have a small or weak lamb that is born on a frigid day, all I have to do is cut off an appropriate sized piece, cut slits in the corners and slip it on the lamb. It’s cheap, simple, works great, and I can either wash and reuse, or just throw it away afterwards.

This past Saturday we had January in April. And my 12 y/o ewe had a lamb. Newborn lamb somehow slipped out of the pen the ewe in, and got chilled. We were able to get her warmed up fine and back to the barn w/ mom- and I wanted to do everything I could to keep her there to avoid a bottle lamb. I dislike using heat lamps due to the risk of fire, but wanted a little more warmth than just the coat. So I grabbed some of those air activated hand warmer packs, two 4"x4" squares of fleece material, and the duct tape. I made two pockets with the fleece squares and duct tape on the inside of the fleece coat, stuck the hand warmers inside, and taped them shut. It worked wonderful - the lamb was warm and perky every time I checked on her. The heat lasted for about 12 hrs, and gave her the extra boost she needed.

Wow, that's a great idea!

My old ewe is finally past her lambing ability for sure. Last year she delivered and almost raised a nice little ewe lamb. This year she had twins but they died, I think because she had them too early (they looked a bit weird).