BC Boards

Book references

A rather strange question: What book(s) have you found extremely helpful, informative, insightful, or simply full of great exercises and training methods as far as agility goes? I'm looking for references to books - I've heard different things from different people and that certain authors/trainers are preferred by certain people. Videos references would be great, as well. Thanks!

Shaping Success by Susan Garrett is awesome-- especially her puppy training games and relationship building exercises.

Reading it made me wish I had a puppy to train!! :rolleyes: I've read the whole thing twice and I still refer to it often.

All about creating a well rounded jumping program for an older dog or puppy

"Jumping from A to Z"

The books that really got me started and taught me A LOT

"agility training" by Jane Simmons-Moake (the person that won the AKC invitational with her Golden)

Any books by that author I suggest! Very intro proofing, positive, and distance and independence as well.

ETA: oh yeah, and Clean Run magazine - AMAZING!

Greg Derrett's foundation video here. Spendy and worth every penny.

I also get a lot out of the training segments in the Agility in Motion DVDs.

I'm not normally the kind of person who likes to learn things from DVDs (rather than books), but when it comes to agility there is no substitute for seeing how a good trainer trains or a good handler handles. I especially like DVDs (as opposed to classes or seminars) because I can replay whatever step we're currently working on as many times as I need to get it straight, then come back later and view the next step when we're ready.

I second the recommendations for Shaping Success and Clean Run. I am also starting to warm up to Kim Collins' agility foundation book From the Ground Up. Kim has captured a lot of ideas and tips that you normally only get by going to seminars (because she's gone to a lot of them!).

If you detect a bias toward foundation material, you're right. I believe that if you make the effort to lay a really good good foundation, things tend to fall into place later. Otherwise, they very definitely fall apart!

Thank you for all the reccomendations! I'll look into everything. The videos/DVDs I'm interested in for the very reason you pointed out, Alaska: being able to actually watch how these trainer work is worth a lot to me, despite my preference for books. I'd also like to increase my knowledge of foundation training because of the pup I'm bringing home, as well as expand some more and get into the finer points of agility, if you will, where I think books like "Jumping From A to Z" will fit in wonderfully. :rolleyes: Thanks again!

I'd also like to increase my knowledge of foundation training because of the pup I'm bringing home

I can't say enough good things about Cyberagility. Not a book or a video, but an agility foundation class you take via the internet. You and your dog will work really hard, get outstanding feedback from the instructor, and learn the principles and application of "clicker training" far better than through almost any other method. Few clicker trainers have spent as much effort really understanding how to use this method than Helix (the instructor). Read the testimonials on her site for more info.