BC Boards

Do clubs ever work?

zenotri

We have a number of clubs here in Australia, it is more common than private trainers. I watched someone I know bring a pup to start last night. She has no experience, so was looking for help.

The pup is super keen. It's first experience was someone taking it in on a line and holding it back from the sheep, while it tried to get to them. Very keen pup, a heap of eye & pretty stylish looking. Once the line was droppped the pup was pretty nice, very keen but nothing too foolish.

Next time around, a guy steps in to help & starts working teh pup. He took the line off & used a rake to block the dog from getting to the sheep at all. Within about a minute the dog was looking to get out of the yard & refusing to show any interest in the sheep at all for either him or its owner.

Later I went & found the girl & offered some advice. "Put your pup away for a while & spend some time watching people work their dogs. Find yourself someone whose method appeals to you & whose dogs you find impressive. Then until you feel confident making some decisions, only take advice from that person. Never let someone you don't know just come in & take your dog to work it."

I really felt for her, she was so confused and upset, quite a contrast to her excitement at the beginning of the day. Not only had she been told completely contradictory things by 2 different people, but she was now worried that her keen pup didn't want to work anymore (which I assured her wouldn't be the case). I went through this a bit (actually a lot), when I started. Everyone wanted to come & "help", everyone knew just what my dog needed. Their methods were all different & I was naive enough to try them all, to the detriment of my dog. Then I went through a stage where I was competent enough that people didn't feel the need to interfere & so I just did my own thing, right or wrong. Now I am starting a pup & have chosen a person I respect & whose dogs I am very impressed by. My plan now is to follow their method & the steps they train. I will continue to learn from everyone I see, but am quite comfortable saying, thanks but we are working on "x" right now.

I guess this kind of thing happens everywhere? I am thinking of sending an email to the girl, just to reassure her...if anyone has any words of wisdom to add, they would be much appreciated.

thanks

I think you gave her great advice. Nothing is worse for a novice than having to try to sort through a bunch of contradictory advice--not to mention not knowing whose advice to follow. Give her all the encouragement you can, and if possible, recommend trainers to her that you know are well respected.

J.

Thanks Julie for your support & advice,

I had a word with the person in charge of the club today & things are going to change for the better. You're right, it is hard to know who to take advice from, especially when you don't even know what looks right.

Hopefully I will be able to add a PS to this post letting you know how well they are doing really soon.

Vickie