BC Boards

confused

I resently had a Border Collie trained and she really knows more than I, but after putting her on the Katahdins I have it like she regressed.

I finally got her doing better somewhat, still not where I would like to be, (trialing) but for some reason I can not get her to drive for me she continues to go around and hold them to me.

Whats going on?

Thanks

Katahdinherder

It is normal for a dog to work better for the trainer than for you initially. Are you taking lessons with the dog with the trainer? Did the trainer give you a tape on how to run the dog and what it is doing? Is the dog fully trained or just started?

As I stated in another post, having a dog trained does not mean that it will work initially for you as well as it did the trainer. Training just shows you what the your dog is capable of doing.

It is common that it will take a year for you to fully get with the dog.

Since I don't know anything about what you are doing when working the dog, I would guess that your dog is not driving for you because you are not stopping it in time and thus allowing it to get to the heads. That is just my wild guess based on very limited information.

I did not get the chance to take lessons with the dog or the trainer. Live in another state. He did however give me a detailed paper report on everthing that he had done with the dog and what all she knew and what the commands meant.Also when I picked her up I video taped him working her for later reference.

She is not fully trained but belieave she is more than just started.

I know more than likely it is me doing something wrong and not the dog, like I said before she knows more about it than I do. My main problem is driving , she cuts in on the top of her go bye outrun sometimes but is starting to widen out, I could fix that one.!

Thanks

Katahdinherder