BC Boards

Building a temporary round pen

Nancy Bovee

Hi, I need to go back to some round pen work and I don't have one. The smallest corral I have is too large, with too much draw to a stall and two nasty corners the sheep like to stick in. I'm not at all sure that just a roll of sheepwire pulled around will hold the sheep (a few are escape wizards) and I want a calm area, not a disaster zone. I can't deal with anything permanent or very heavy, but I know someone must have mastered this challenge before me. Any help?

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy,

Look for "Combo Panels", they are 16 foot long and the bars are closer together at the bottom that at the top. I think ours were around $16-$18 each, but that was before steel prices went up, for some reason I am thinking they are around $22 now, but I could be mistaken. We have many working areas and holding pens that were built with them wired to T-posts, the great part is that it is easy to take them down and change the fence. Wayne has even set them up so that they have a spring gate in them, you just run them on an arc and have one panel overlap on the inside of the arc. If set right they will self close, we also split a piece of garden hose and capped the end to that there were no sharp edges. Another thing that we discovered when we had some sheep chasers here to work dogs, the t-posts allowed the pen to flex so that the sheep would just bounce off, not so when you mount them on wood posts.

Deb

They are called cattle panels in our neck of the woods in AZ. Fairly cheap. We buy ours from Sutherlands in Sierra Vista. Use T posts and a gate. Both my 60 ft round pen and 90 ft round pen are made from these. I do wish we had a oblong one too but it took DH a year to build me the new 90 ft one.

They are called cattle panels in our neck of the woods in AZ.

We have cattle panels too, but here the cattle panels have the same size square from top to bottom the combos have a smaller square (not as tall) at the bottom making it less likely to get a leg or head hung up in, basically made for smaller livestock. At lambing time our lambs slide through the cattle panels, they don't make it through the combo panels. Combos are a little more expensive.