BC Boards

Trainers to Start BC

RHardin

Hi,

I was wondering if there are trainers that simply start good dogs for others. I had heard a few years ago that some of the really good trialers sent a few young dogs out for the foundation work. ??

Thanks

Rick

[/quot

Rick,

I would say that is a correct thought. I know the woman who started and trained my dog starts quite a few dogs for Open trialers. I would imagine there are several that do that.

Carolyn

Most trainers will put a foundation on a dog just starting out, and it's not unreasonable. Compared to the cost of some of these handlers who do inhouse training for obedience, agility, or conformation, it's a downright steal! Plus, you not only get a dog that can do basic work and possibly even start competing in novice, but you also get a dog who has learned manners, a drop dead recall, heeling off leash, crate or kennel training, and many other helpful behaviors.

Different trainers do it different ways. Many will take your dog for a few weeks, then let him go home for a month, then have the dog return for a month again to reinforce and finish that level of training. Then if you want you can discuss further training, or lessons.

Not to knock people who choose to limit their in house training, but I prefer to go with someone who has plenty of experience "taking a dog to the top" - multiple dogs - because it's foundation work that will come back to bite you in the end, if you yourself go all the way in your training. Open level trainers see those weaknesses right from the start and can work to improve those areas a little at a time, before it's necessary to do serious remedial work. Plus if you decide you want more training, then your dog already knows the trainer who will help him continue, rather than having to change to someone else.

None of this is to denigrate the function of helping out top handlers with putting foundations on young dogs. That's a different matter. My point is that if I am spending money, I'll tend to want to spend it with the most experienced handler I can find, who meets my needs.

^^^ What she said. It's done all the time. In addition to having a dog started, sometimes a person who would normally try to work things through with their own dog will discover that they are having a particular problem as the dog's training progresses, and will send their dog to someone for a month or two to iron out that issue. And then there are trainers who will have a litter of pups, and will not sell all (or even any) of the pups till they have started them all, decided which one(s) they want to keep, and then sell the rest as started dogs.

A