BC Boards

Participating in Trials

Jedismom

Your dog does not have to have any form of "papers" to compete in USBCHA (ISDS style) trials. Your dog does not have to be any particular breed or even a purebred to compete.

If you are interested in AKC events (and I hope you are not), you either have to have AKC papers (which are not possible unless your dog is already registered with AKC, ABCA, or ISDS) or ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege - for neutered, unregistered dogs that appear to be a particular breed), I believe.

I think you can compete in ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) events without any papers, but I'm not sure. I am quite sure you can compete in AHBA (American Herding Breed Association) events without any papers.

If no one replies with accurate information, you can check these organizations various websites to find out if papers are required or not.

You can compete in any venue but AKC - since you have a Border Collie (I think, right?), aim for the top in USBCHA! You never know what you've got. There have been several stories of success with "found" dogs, that I remember personally, where the owners learned with their dogs and made it to be real contenders in open. That's not the rule, of course, but you never know until you try.

Don't worry about asking too many questions - someone most likely is wondering and learning right along with you!

Gee--you're asking all these great questions...you really ARE hooked, aren't you? :rolleyes:

A

:D I think you're right, Anna!

Since I've been on this board and read through some pretty passionate threads on breeding from working lines, I understood the importance of it or thought I did. I didn't fully get what the passion was all about though. I only understood the logic of it. It wasn't until I witnessed Jedi working sheep that I got it. Now I understand...It was one of the most overwhelming "Aha" moments I've ever had. :rolleyes:

Mmmmm...That reminds me...I need to schedule our next lesson :D