BC Boards

Rent a dog?

sleeping

Originally I didn't think Charlie would ever really be a good stock dog. He was the most reserved, people oriented, and worst marked of his litter. (I picked him cause he was the only one not to want to run around in the mud. He stayed with me while his litter mates romped around) His mom and dad were both agility dogs, and I guess dad was especially exceptional, but both were less than 35 lbs and up until a while ago I thought Charlie was barely going to make 30. But in the last month he's put on another 10 lbs and looks like he's going to keep growing, and is finally getting strong enough to really test me when playing (well not really, but it's a lot more fun for me now)

So I'm curious, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it... (mods feel free to move to wherever it would need to go) if ever there are times where a rancher might want to borrow a dog. I want to see about getting Charlie on livestock, but I'm not going to buy any, so do you suppose there are programs where I could drop him off and let him work, then pick him up?

I wouldn't mind trying to work it with him, but I wasn't purpose bread for that sort of thing. And don't want to screw anything up. I just want to see how he does because I'm starting to think he would do really good, and it would save someone the cost of the dog.

I'm in Temecula, California not really sure how far I'd want to drive. I suppose it depends on what days and times. Any suggestions?

Also are most stock dogs trained by working with others or do you just turn them loose or what?

Anyways thanks, sorry if it's a stupid question.

Sleeping: I sent you a PM, as this is in the "ask the expert" section,

A

I understand that when you have a dog of a particular breed there would be a curiosity to know if they could do what they were bred to do. However, to make a useful stock dog takes not only breeding and instinct but many years of careful training and then the dog needs to be handled by a person who understands the work of the dog and how to take advantage of his ability.

A stock dog works best in a situation that is designed to make use of his talents. A farmer/rancher who does not have a dog will have designed his operation around this lacking and would probably need to rethink some of his organization to take best advantage of a stock dog.

So the long answer to your question is that I can not imagine a rancher/farmer who would welcome the addition of an untrained/untested dog in his daily operation. If he already has a dog he will not need yours. If he does not have a dog he wouldn't know what to do with yours.

It is certainly possible to participate in herding as a sport without owning livestock as many people on this forum can testify. However, as difficult as the herding sport is with ready access to livestock it is even more difficult without such access. If you love your dog and enjoy having him I would suggest that you view him as the exceptional pet he know doubt is and not ask of him something he may not be able to do and open for him possible vistas of opportunity you may not be able to sustain.

Beverly

Thanks for the advise, I think Charlie and I are going to go watch for a little while and see how it all works in person.

While I'm here though I have one last question. All the herding I've ever seen involved 3 dogs, do you need 3 or can you only use 1?

Sleeping,

The number of dogs you use really depends on the job at hand and the number of livestock being moved. I often use just one dog, the exception being when I go into the ram pasture, when I take two for safey reasons. Most of the folks I know who have cattle will routinely use more than one dog to move them simply because they don't flock like sheep and so it's easier to have a dog to cover each side instead of having one dog wear itself out flanking back and forth to cover both sides. Trialing is generally always with just one dog (the exception being a brace competition--two dogs--but those are extremely rare here). So the answer is yes, you can use just one dog.

J.