BC Boards

training an older rescued dog

thunderfish

I'm wanting to adopt a bc off a farmer that doesn't treat the dog very well (keeps him kennelled most of the day). I have developed a positive relationship with the bc, and am wondering what the chances are of training him to be a successful herder. He came from a ranch in MT as a puppy, from a breeder that breeds primarily for his own working stock. He is now two to two-and-a-half years old, and he never began any livestock training. Is it likely that he's too old or confined to become a herder yet? I think he's a great dog, and would love to give him a better home. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

What makes you think the dog is not being treated well? Does the farmer not do anything at all with him? mistreat him? or just leave him kenneled alot? My younger dog is kenneled a good portion of the time because he gets into trouble if not supervised. He does get at least an hour of exercise each day, and more like 2-3 hours of exercise and training about 4 days out of the week. But unless you pass my house at the right time of day, you'd see him in his kennel most of the time.

But, at two or two and a half the dog is still a youngster :rolleyes:. I didn't start doing any "real work" with my first BC until she was about 4 y/o. And my younger dog got his first taste of sheep at 18 months.

I had worked around the farmer for a number of years, and watched a pattern develop of his mistreatment of livestock and pets. At various times, I saw three different dogs of his not being let out even once a day and were given pens that were 7x7 at best. They were given an endless supply of food, and all three became morbidly obese and quickly died of heart failure. As it were, I contacted the county animal shelter, and they offered no help.

Seeing the bc just beginning down this path made me fear both its physical and mental health. So I want to get him out of there (the farmer consents) as I've developed a healthy relationship w/the dog.

Thank you for you response. Good to know he's not too old yet.

I had worked around the farmer for a number of years, and watched a pattern develop of his mistreatment of livestock and pets. At various times, I saw three different dogs of his not being let out even once a day and were given pens that were 7x7 at best. They were given an endless supply of food, and all three became morbidly obese and quickly died of heart failure. As it were, I contacted the county animal shelter, and they offered no help.

Seeing the bc just beginning down this path made me fear both its physical and mental health. So I want to get him out of there (the farmer consents) as I've developed a healthy relationship w/the dog.

Gotcha! Sounds like a win-win situation. One thing I would do is work on getting him in shape a bit physically before trying him on livestock. It doesn't have to be anything major, maybe a couple of weeks of regular walks and exercise, just so he's not going directly from sedentary to working. I'd also look for a good trainer in your area to take a few lessons from to get both you and the dog off on the right foot.

Good luck, and keep us posted!