BC Boards

Training them where to poop in the yard....

Currently they just kinda poop where ever the urge hits em. (Achilles and my wifes little collie pup). We have a decent backyard but its not really big enough for them to just drop us a present in any old spot. I've been scooping it up with a shovel and throwing it behind this tree at the very edge of our yard (where I hope they will start pooping eventually) but so far they still insist on pooping out in the middle where people walk.

Is there any trick to teaching a dog to poop in a certain spot like that? After they poop I will hold their nose close to it, shovel it up and throw it behind the tree, then make em smell it once more hoping they'll see I intend for poop to end up behind the tree but so far its a no go. :rolleyes:

Currently they just kinda poop where ever the urge hits em. (Achilles and my wifes little collie pup). We have a decent backyard but its not really big enough for them to just drop us a present in any old spot. I've been scooping it up with a shovel and throwing it behind this tree at the very edge of our yard (where I hope they will start pooping eventually) but so far they still insist on pooping out in the middle where people walk.

Is there any trick to teaching a dog to poop in a certain spot like that? After they poop I will hold their nose close to it, shovel it up and throw it behind the tree, then make em smell it once more hoping they'll see I intend for poop to end up behind the tree but so far its a no go. :D

I've been meaning to do this with my dog, but have been too lazy so far. The way I was going to do it was to take him out on leash every time. And I mean Every Time. He is already trained to pee and poop on commands (2 different commands) so I figure I would give the command as well. I think this will work pretty well.

In the first house we lived in, we inadvertently taught him to poop in tall grass. We lived on a cul-de-sac with a hilly median directly across the street from us. Nobody ever walked there (too hilly and the city rarely mowed it, plus no sidewalk like there was on the other side) so we would take him out on leash over there to poop (so we wouldn't have to pick it up, I know, we're horrible! we wouldn't do that again just for courtesy sake!) Anyway, after awhile I would just look both ways for traffic, then open the door and send him out with his command. He would, without fail, go across the street to the hilly, tall grass for his business. He never pooped in our front yard. After that we lived with my parents for awhile while we built our current house. They live out in the country and there are large spots of tall, native grasses. Riley always pooped in there! The only bad thing about that was the ticks.

Oh, and I really don't think the holding their nose to it will work at all. :rolleyes:

Betsy

Yep, take the dog out on a leash, as soon as it squats you can also give command (mine is potty) and that's helpful for when you are traveling. After a while, go out with dog but not on leash and use 'ah, ah' or similar if the dog starts to squat in the wrong place.

Rewarding never hurts. :rolleyes:

I have a bitch, which might make a difference, but I've noticed she goes to the same spots as long as they are vacant. If I leave the droppings out (which I can't do for long, given where I live), she'll expand her range. I just praised her excessively when she went in an acceptable place, and ignored it if she went on the sidewalk. Doggy biscuits never hurt either.

On the subject of Poo :rolleyes: I am also having trouble getting my four month old BC to poo in the same place, however I'm more concerned right now about what to do with the poo. It seems to be piling up all over the place. I found an alternative to putting it in garbage bags and hauling it to the dump.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/petwaste.html

click on the step-by-step photo guide for diagrams.

My girl goes in basically the same place, every time. I just put her on a leash and brought her to where I wanted her to go. She doesn't walk around to find a place really, she just goes in the same 5x5' area. And treats (or a "good dog") doesn't hurt either!

- Brooke -

Riley...the world's smartest dog..pooped everywhere as a small pup but started doing it one area just a few months ago...probably when he was 6 months old. He still strays on the other side of the yard now and then. Now I'm training him to clean up after himself.... :rolleyes:

Quick question...has anybody ever used those in-ground receptacles for disposing of poop? They use some environmentally safe chemicals that gets rid of the poop.

thanks

DUH!!! I didn't se jackpines link...

Thanks for the link jackpine. I have been wanting to buy a doggie dooly for some time, but didn't like the cost. Now, I can make my own very inexpensively!

Have you made one?

Your very welcome, glad I could help. And I was in exactly the same position you are. I didn't want to spend the money for a doggie dooly. So I did a lot of searching for alternatives and through word of mouth and good Canadian environmental site, I found this method.

We should have it made in a week or so and the whole idea appeals to me. Simply the cost of a plastic garbage can and a bit of septic starter. And some shoveling :rolleyes: to fit it down and into the ground = instant neat and affordable doggy septic.

Guest LJS1993

Guys I just got a 5 month old female and I am having some basic issues with housebreaking. The main issue has been inconsistency which is really perplexing me. One minute she will wake me up, lick me, you know, warn me about her impending need for the restroom facilities. The next, no warning at all, she just goes right in my house. What can I do? Advice? I know I must be patient as this is my second BC and third dog overall, but man, my last BC was very easy to housetrain.