BC Boards

Hi! New BC owner - probably?

Aww! How cute is SHE while being eaten by an octopus? What a doll. And you are SO much more deserving of her than whoever had her before. Sometimes I just want to Kick. People. In. The. SHINS. Really really hard.

If she was neglected and bored, it's possible she wore her teeth down via chewing or fence-biting (etc) or that the previous owners gave her tennis balls of something like them to play with and that she has prematurely "aged" her teeth. When there's that much wear, it's a lot harder to guess the age. I'd still say that she's "older" (because as I think RDM mentioned, that takes time, no matter how they did it), but she might be younger than her teeth would make her appear. Or, she might not. Pepper (the BF's BC) started to mellow out a bit at maybe 8 to 9 or so, but she was pretty high drive before then; if your girl was always a bit more low-key, she may have mellowed younger.

So basically I'm telling you it's a guessing game, which you probably had already concluded, so I'll just shut up now. :rolleyes: Except to tell you I hope you have many very happy years together, and welcome to the Boards.

Doesn't she look like she's smiling? I love that picture.

Hmmm...the vet said that there were obvious signs that she used to pull on a chain link fence, and if she was digging like the owner said, then she was probably chewing too. I guess after we get her some more endurance, we'll try agility or the like. When she came to us she was totally ready for a nap after a half mile of walking. Now she can do twice that running with dad. Poor baby obviously didn't get walked too much. :rolleyes:

Congrats on adopting a needy dog, and giving her what looks like the best home ever!

Now, if you adopt another (named Oreo also) you could just call them Oreo Double-Stuff. Same amount of cookie but twice as much filling...

Best wishes!

I have a question, and didn't want to post it in the heath forum in case it was a really stupid question.

Oreo LOVES PB&J sandwiches. I think they may be her favorite human food. I make them for myself frequently, and she usually gets three little pinches off each sandwich. Is there anything that I should worry about in this? I know peanut butter is very fatty, but it's spread very thinly on the sandwich so she doesn't get much.

I'm just asking because I recently learned that onions were bad for dogs, which I had not known before. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be aware of. Thanks!

Peanut butter is fine for dogs, I fill the kong and freeze it for an extra special treat, but grapes and raisins are very toxic to dogs.

She is a beaut! I love Black and white pups. I also am dying for another, but Hubby needs some convincing.

She looks like a bc to me too! She looks like a smooth coat. So pretty, as all bc's!!!

do not give her grapes, and yes onions are bad.

I give my bc's pbutter all the time.

Also no human ice cream, there is ice cream for dogs, she will love it!!

good luck!

Oreo is beautiful and looks BC to me! Also, just to warn you, she may perk up more once she is settled in to your house. :rolleyes: When we brought Sydney home, she was skinny, scared, and neglected. It was many months before she would run around and play. However, there definitely are mellow BCs out there. Anyway, thanks for adopting and welcome!

~Kelly

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

This board was so helpful when I adopted Oreo and I thank you for that.

We adopted her thinking she was 4 (per HSPCA), and found out she was 8-10. I immediately fell in love with the breed and had visions of all kind of Border Collie frisbee or agility fun dancing in my head for the "next" dog. The longer I have had Oreo, the more clear it becomes that we wouldn't give a "typical" active BC a proper home. She is the perfect dog for us. She's totally laid back, and in her old age likes to sleep a lot, but still gets as excited as a puppy about walkies or playing tug.

Knowing this combined with my indignance that anyone would give up or turn out a dog in its golden years led to the only possible conclusion. I think I'm going to adopt old lady Border Collies for the rest of my life. I'll only get to have two at a time (my fiance does not want me to become a "crazy dog lady"), but the old girls make me happy (and hopefully I can make them happy).

We just bought a house (yay!) and I've put in an application for Livy at the BC Rescue of TX. I'm really hopeful, and waiting to schedule a home visit. She's the most incredible, beautiful girl.

Livy01.25.jpg

http://www.bcrescuetexas.org/livy.htm