BC Boards

What is I? :D

Hey everyone I'm new to the boards, just came across it while trying to find some health/feeding/activity info for my pup. I've had him about 3 weeks now, I adopted him from a local shelter. Fell in love with him the first time I saw him. :D

Anyways, he's seems to be a border collie or some kind of mix IMHO. He is built just like a border collie, stares intently, is smarter than I am sometimes. You can also look at him really close in certain light and see that he has the BC pattern in his fur, except where a typical BC would have black he has a very very very light tan color. So much so that he looks completely white unless you know what you're looking for. He also has glassy blue eyes.

Heres some pics of my Achilles(his name):

Pics of Achilles

The pound said they think he is pure border collie, or at least the girl thought she was told this when the previous owners left him there. Don't know why anyone would give him up willingly, we love him he was a member of the family the first day we had him home. The reason I ask is that I can't find any pictures of border collies that look exactly or even all that much like him (as far as his color scheme).

I'd like to know what you think he might be or what the potential mix might be, I know its hard to tell just by looking at him, but wild guesses are welcome. :D

I'd also like to know what age you think he is. The pound said about 5-6 months :rolleyes: when I got him which would put him around 6-7 now. He's around 21-22 inches tall at the front shoulders and he's nearly 45 lbs. (I weighed 264 on the scale by myself, holding him it was 308-309. :D ) So that puts him in the mid 40 lbs range even accounting for error. You can tell he's pretty young, he's smart, but still has a puppy nieveness/curiosity about him. He has grown quite abit since I got him 3 weeks ago.

Funny: I think the generic dry food they gave him at the pound had alot of corn in it because the first 3 days we had him he farted all the time. He slept between me and the wife on our bed and he kept cracking em off all night long. Now I feed him a Purina Adult and a Puppy Chow 50/50 mix. He also gets chicken jerk treats. So far he's not polluting the air anymore.

I don't know if this helps identify his breed or age but:

He can pick up on a command (like "stand up!" and he will raise up on his hind legs) in 10 attempts or so for a treat. He's not 100% consistent but he gets the idea really quick. He likes to chase tennis balls and wrestle in the backyard (he gnaws and bites gently with alot of control and accuracy so as not to hurt you). I've also taught him to sit and wait until I say "eat Achilles" while I'm pouring his food into his bowl instead of attacking it and spilling it all over the place like some less intelligent dogs I've had in the past.

He also has a TON Of character. He has lots of expressions, will sleep in some of the funniest positions. (Will post some pics of it when we find the usb chord to my wifes camera). He also thinks he's part monkey as he regurarly uses his paws to trap your hands when playing with you, to hold a chew toy or treat while chewing it, etc. He absolutely loves affection. Not just like my blue healer who liked to be pet all the time but he's kinda emotionally needy like a kid or something. He loves for me to lay on the couch with him, if he's afraid of the neighbors lawn mower or something he likes to come huddle up with you and looks at you like a kid waiting to be told its ok. If you aren't acting scared of it yourself then he gets over it really quickly. He loves for someone to sit at the window and growl at the neighbors dog with him. Sometimes if I howl he will howl with me.

Anyways thats me rambling......he has like short duck down close to his skin and longer thicker hair on top. His fur is really soft and fuzzy, and he has alot of hair on his tail. When he goes into "alert" mode around another dog or something a patch of fur on top of his front shoulders will spike up and when he's excited or on alert his tail stands up and the fur on the bottom of his tail is so long and busy that it waves around like a flag.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he is really good at walking on a leesh with a harness. Me and Achilles have gone on 5 mile run/walks on a nature trail near my house around people who are running/walking their dogs/biking/rollerblading and he is very well behaved in this kind of "distracting" enviroment although he does display alot of curiousity about whats going on around him.

Anyways if theres anything else you would need to know I'll try and come up with it. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Border collie DO some in that color. Exactly that color even. Although the tans are less common than black and white or tris or even merles, they are definitely out there. The tans can go from very light (like Achilles) to a dark dark tan color. Sometimes, the younger the dog, the lighter the color. Especially if under a year, many tan pups can be born a solid looking color but their marking come out in a year or more.

So, that was sort of a history on tan dogs....

Achilles looks very BC to me - and what you describe is VERY border collie!! :rolleyes:

Welcome!

Wouldn't matter if he wasn't a border collie....that dog is beautiful!!! Here's to enjoying your new member of your family. Congrats on making him your new best friend!!

Thanks :D And yeah you're right, I don't care if he's a funny looking Siamese cat, he's a loved member of the family now for good. :rolleyes:

looks like a white german shephard to me.

Missy is part BC and part Belgian Sheepdog (related to GSD's), and is very similar in facial features and build to Achilles. So I would go along with a possible white GSD/BC mix as a guess.

I'm seeing both Border collie and GSD(or Belgian Shepherd, they are built similarly, correct?) I'm thinking the all white body may have come from white GSD, but his lovely face and slighter build is definitely BC. Either way, he's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on the new member of the family. :rolleyes:

hmmmmm. I know a lot of Belgian shepherds (of all the kinds) and I don't really see that in him. Maybe a little, but the body shape isn't quite right... I don't see much White German Shepherd (which a family member has) either except the light coat.

I think a lot of BC, but I gotta say I don't know what comes after that!

I've seen some supposed BC/husky or BC/husky/Samoyed mixes that look a lot like that... and the size is about right for it (here I'm talking Alaskan husky, which are often in the mid-40-# range.) Husky mix might also play in to the blue eyes (though the Sammies usually have brown); blue eyes are fairly common in huskies up here. But who knows? He could be all BC. He is just gorgeous, though, whatever he might be. Plus it sounds like he is a GREAT fit with your family and lifestyle, so even as handsome as he is, that's the least of his charms! :rolleyes:

If you look here: http://www.bcbordercollies.com/bc/begin2.htm for Katie she looks like a like your dog but she has down ears. Similar build though, and tail. She was reportedly a BC X Lab, but she is the only long coated and only all white dog in the litter. And also, the only deaf one :rolleyes:

RDM

Hes too slender to be german shepard. I think he is border collie. Is his hearing ok? Since he is white factored and has blue eyes, you may want to check.

Do BC with white coat and blue eyes have hearing problems? As far as I know he hears fine, he is very alert to stuff going on outside the house (cars pulling up into the drive, etc) and can obey verbal commands very well. He's due for some shots at the vet next pay check though so I'll have em run some tests.

And yeah he does look similiar to a german shepard in that 2nd pic of him from the side, he looks pretty stout/thick like a GS.

Anyone have any estimates on his age from what you can see of him?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm not sure if you're curious enough to pay to find out, but I was reading in Dog Fancy that there's a website http://www.metamorphixinc.com/ that offers a cheek swab DNA test that will tell the primary and secondary breeds in a dog. It's only $65, which I figured was pretty good for a DNA test.

I just mention it because I know I'm asking for it for Oreo for my birthday. Not because we care at all, but just because I HAVE to know. Don't know if you are quite as obsessed as I am. She's a gorgeous dog!

Do BC with white coat and blue eyes have hearing problems?

Actually, any animal with a white coat and blue eyes can have hearing problems. I've also heard that the lighter the eyes, the higher the probability. That goes for everything from cats to dogs to rabbits and beyond. It's something about the genetic mash-up that makes that coloring, for some reason.

What a BEAUTIFUL dog though, OMG! Certainly looks like a Border to me!

- Brooke -

Actually, any animal with a white coat and blue eyes can have hearing problems. I've also heard that the lighter the eyes, the higher the probability. That goes for everything from cats to dogs to rabbits and beyond. It's something about the genetic mash-up that makes that coloring, for some reason.

What a BEAUTIFUL dog though, OMG! Certainly looks like a Border to me!

- Brooke -

Ahh I didn't know that. Thanks I'll definately get him checked out.

Ahh I didn't know that. Thanks I'll definately get him checked out.

Here's an easy way to do it. Go near him but don't look at him. Make a noise. If his ears swivel or he looks at you, his hearing is probably not too terrible. Do it at different volumes to check his range, but repeat the same volume more than a couple times. BCs get really focused on things and won't pay attention to something else if they don't want to.

- Brooke -

I just mention it because I know I'm asking for it for Oreo for my birthday. Not because we care at all, but just because I HAVE to know. Don't know if you are quite as obsessed as I am. She's a gorgeous dog!

Oreo is all Border Collie. :rolleyes: You can just look at her and tell!

Not sure about the white one though, could be! Very pretty dog!

Katelynn