BC Boards

Who would have thought....

That Black Jack would have stole the show today at the clinic? Well heDID! I took him in the ring for the first time and Jack just had me move the sheep around and see what Black Jack would do. He wasn't to worried about them for a while but then his ears started coming up and he started showing more interest in them, he did move them some but not to much. So Jack said that was enough for the first time. He broke it up to two five minutes sessions, not one ten minute session. The second time we just let him go, I started the sheep moving for him. He started to move them very nicely and kept them moving right along without running after them or biting at them. Jack couldn't believe it. He said he was almost flawless :rolleyes: He said for a rescue that I dont' know much about he did great. He did everything right, he listened to everything you said, and he kept them moving without chasing them around. I am so proud of him! People kept coming by after he was done and saying how good he was :D He was so excited to be doing it and you could see in his eyes he was so happy. He loved it. Jack said with a little work he could go outside and work the sheep if he wasn't hurt. I was worried that he would get scared and start biting at them or something but he didn't. He just took it slow. I'm one proud daddy tonight :D

I have pictures coming, but it'll be a few days.

Yep I'm addicted now. I already talked to a trainer here in town about getting some lessons later this summer. They're only $30 dollars an hour. Is that to much? Jack said that she was good though.

Today went really good too. I got to work with Black Jack more, not just let Jack work with him. The first time I went today I was pretty bad (Black Jack was good again) but Jack gave me some pointers and the second time we went I got better. The second time Jack stood by the fence for most of the five minutes because I kept the sheep and Black Jack moving pretty good. It was awesome. I have never had that much fun before. All the people were great, and there was a lot of people that hadn't worked sheep to much so we all talked and bounced stuff off each other.

Everyone was talking about Black Jack all day. No one could believe that a rescue could do that. Jack said that he had a good chance of getting really good, since he's as good as he is now with just four five minutes sessions.

There wasn't many good pictures since my stupid camera went bad for some reason. Most of them are blurry but I'll post them anyway.

Wow! that is fabulous. Congrats! So glad that the both of you had such a great time, and that everything went so flawlessly!

What do people mean by, they are surprised a rescue could do so good?! That sounds rude to me. Am I right?

I think a rescue can do just about anything, IF given the chance!! :rolleyes:

Congrats on yours and Black Jack's very positive and enjoyable clinic experience. I would say that if Jack said a trainer was a good one, I wouldn't doubt him. You are very fortunate if you have someone suitable (and very affordable, I might add - prices that I've found within three hours of me are much more expensive) within a reasonable distance of you. Go for it!!!

What do people mean by, they are surprised a rescue could do so good?! That sounds rude to me. Am I right?

I think a rescue can do just about anything, IF given the chance!!

Since the background of a rescued Border Collie is often unknown, whether or not the dog has the breeding/genetics for stockwork is also unknown. As it requires careful breeding to maintain the complex traits that contribute to the capable stockdog, it just means that many rescues that are of "dubious" background may not possess those genetics.

There are all sorts of Border Collies in rescue, from well-bred, working-bred dogs to Barbies to back-yard-bred, etc. Some will possess what it takes for top-quality stockwork and some will do best as couch potatoes, active companions, performance sports dogs, or any of a multitude of "careers". I would assume that finding a rescue with excellent potential for stockwork might well be more difficult than finding one suitable for being a companion/recreational sports dog. After all, even in well-bred litters, not all pups will necessarily be good stockdogs.

Take it as a compliment to Black Jack and not an insult to rescue dogs, that he did "so good". All rescue dogs will excel at something but it won't necessarily be stockwork.

Thanks guys. He was great. I'm so proud of him. You wouldn't believe how much he's changed, for the good. Now he's not as scared of my horse and will come into the hay part of the shed with me, and he's wanting to run around and play. I have to keep telling him to take it easy on his leg. (now it doesn't hurt :rolleyes: )

I was bummed this morning when I woke up because I didn't have the clinic to go to :D Black Jack was ready to get in the truck and go again. I guess I'll be taking lessons pretty soon.