BC Boards

Allergic Reactions

2 Devils

Tempe had an allergic reaction to something unknown (food maybe but no telling). Anyways her face has numerous lumps and she even has some on her legs. I noticed a couple bumps first thing this morning but it wasn't anything major. I went out for a couple hours and by the time we came back her face was swelling and the bumps were growing in size. She also seems to itch but otherwise seems fine. She is trying to play with my poodle. We gave her some children's benadryl and the swelling has stopped and decreased slightly.

My question is how long does it usually take for a reaction to happen? I want to try and figure out what caused this. As far as I know she has not had anything unusual today foodwise but I can possibly narrow down the timeframe maybe I can figure out what may have caused the reaction. The numerous bumps on her face and body lead me to think it was something she ate though.

Poor thing looks like she is related to the elephant man.

Here is to hoping that she does not get worse because I really don't want to take her to the emergency vet again. She was just there 6 weeks ago when she tore off her toenail at the nail bed. These people will think I am a horrible owner if she goes back...

When I've gotten hives from something (red dye 40 usually) it's generally within 30 mins to 4 hours; I would think her reaction might be similar.

Best wishes to Tempe for a fast recovery.

My first pit bull experienced a nasty case of hives (two cases, actually, several years apart) -- probably caused by a spider bite, the vet said when he saw him. My poor little guy was feverish and miserable, and I was very worried and stayed up all night with him :rolleyes: In a day or so he was back to his usual jolly self.

I hope Tempe feels better soon!