BC Boards

any news on little Bea/ Eilidh?

One thing to think about on the hind end weakness - did the vet give any antiseizure drugs? I know some of them cause significant loss of muscle control especially in the back end. Also, my parents' epileptic dog would have some weakness and blindness issues after seizures. The worst bout left her blind for about 36 or 48 hours, so it's possible that the lasting symptoms are just remnants of the post ictal.

Fingers and paws crossed and thank goodness for construction so that she wasn't on the plane when this happened.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still nothing extraordinary to report. She's eating, drinking, and wanting to play a little, but is still weak.

But, no seizures. So that's something.

The vision issue seems to be somewhat better - she's noticing things on that side of her body again.

Anywho. I've the flu, it seems, so I'm going to hide with Recon in my bed until the evil stuff goes away.

I'll update on Miss B/Eilidh in the morning; mom's taking her in to the vet just to be checked out.

oh, no, poor Bean, just had the chance to read this post way later! but glad to hear she's doing so much better. Get well soon, Bean, we're all keeping our paws up for you and may you frolick happy and healthy soon, soon, soon!

As I have read Bean's progress, I have to say my gut feeling is to lean toward something toxic that she got into. As time goes on the liver is able to process the toxins through, and recovery comes slowly. Do you all remember that episode of emergency vets where the three corgis came in all with seizures? It was horrible, they all recovered; two were normal, at last update the oldest still had balance problems. Since she is a pup she could easily have ingested something she shouldn't. I suspect given her current progress she will be back to normal, or dang close to it, within a month.

Aerie- it is a very good thing that this happened before she got on the plane. You all have done such a great job taking care of her.

Julie

Do you all remember that episode of emergency vets where the three corgis came in all with seizures? It was horrible, they all recovered; two were normal, at last update the oldest still had balance problems. Since she is a pup she could easily have ingested something she shouldn't. I suspect given her current progress she will be back to normal, or dang close to it, within a month.

I actually thought of that episode when I first read this. The only problem I can think of is that Bean is mostly inside right now (from the sounds of things), so her exposure would be pretty limited. Definitely still possible though. You never know what a dog, especially a puppy, might lick.

At the same time, sometimes puppies will get overheated without us ever realizing it, even when it's not that hot out. I've had a puppy overheat on a fairly mild day, just running around chasing a ball and not even -that- intensely. His (and no, not Pith the epileptic) response, though, was just one short seizure. Of course I also immediately went through the process of cooling him down, so that might have prevented any further seizures. That's the thing that makes me wonder about Bean and overheating, since her seizures continued.

Paws crossed over here for Miss Bean's continuing improvement and get well soon too Aerie - flu is horrid, so look after yourself. You and your Mum are doing everything you can for this little pup.

PS Isn't it funny how we have all latched onto Melanie's name for her instead of her 'proper' name? I think it suits her so perfectly.

Well, today seems to be the same as yesterday. She's up and moving more, though. The hind leg is still weak and mom says she thinks the vision is still blurry in that eye, but other than that she appears to be getting better.

The vet visit went well - Beanie's temp is normal and we've still had no seizures since the weekend.

more waiting and seeing, I guess.

and luckily, it seems I only had a 24 hour flu thing because other than feeling extremely tired I seem to be better. Now if I can just get Recon to eat, I'll be sufficiently content for the day.

Hey everyone. :rolleyes:

Once again, I'm sorry for being absent. The semester is winding down and I'm having an awful time finding spare moments.

Eilidh's testing all came back normal, again. She hasn't had any seizures for a couple of days so once again we're stumped.

As RDM said, my Mother is in love. Well, she's in love between the times when Eilidh's not chewing something up, but...yeah. We're going to continue watching her, of course. The vet says he's seen a few cases in the past where puppies would suffer from seizures a while and then outgrow them with no real explanation as to why it happens. I am hoping that's the case.

The seizures that she's had since that weekend are mild ones - nothing near as bad as the original ones.

We weren't planning on keeping her, but after discussing things with the vet, it's probably best that she not be shipped anywhere. We don't know what's triggering the seizures or when they'll start again.

On a good note... She's back to eating normally, drinking fine, and has gained back the lost weight. She's growing normally and appears to have regained the sight in her eye. She's moving easily again, too, no more stiff gait or dragging that leg.

So, yeah, we're still just watching and waiting.