BC Boards

My first loves....

G. Festerling

My addiction to the breed started with a gift.

Her name was Gem. A spotted black and white pup that showed up in the arms of her breeder one sunday morning.

He knew that I had wanted a pup and the farmdog was not getting the job done. Okay so maybe my old boss was partialy at fault as of course there can't be any puppies when there is no female! So his friend, who had raised the old farm dog decided to take pity on me. After all, here I was in a strange country, working my tail off and no family. So one sunday morning, my boss was at Denny's for breakfast, Jack showed up with moma dog and pup in hand. After showing me what mom was capable off he handed me the pup and told me that she was done eating and to take good care of her.

I promptly told him that I had no money and could not afford such a gift. So I was told not to worry everything was taken care off. Hmmm....so I assumed that my boss might have done that. But when asked if he knew anything about it he said no. So to this day I am not sure who I owed this too but I do know that it has been a blessing. I never know which picture I love of her best or which one describes what an incredible dog she was. She has been gone for close to 10 years now. But I still think of her often and only with the best memories. I even took her home with me at one point and she went up the Alps in the Gondel with me!

GemCollage.jpg

In the close to 20 years that I have only raised 4 litters out of 4 different females. So when I bred Gem to a wondeful working ranchdog I kept me my Sly. There is nothing I can say others than that a better friend and companion can not be found. Unlike her mom and her son later she was a bit on the softer side. But had wonderful balance on stock, loved everything and everyone, chased frisbees till she would drop and spend most of her time trying to convince unsuspecting strangers that she was the innocent one! Hah! Her name was not Sly for no reason! She was at my side for 14 years and hardly slowed down untill a freak accident took her from me way too soon. To this day I can not think about her without trears in my eyes and writing this is hard. She was my family. Out of 20 years in a stange country 14 she was with me.

slyblackwhite.jpg

talkingsly.jpg

When Sly turned two and our old ranch dog was getting up in age we decided to breed her once to him. Resulting in my old man Flash. He was a hard dog. Very hard headed, strong on stock, always ready and very much a typical male. He owned everything and everyone but loved a game of tug or frisbee more than anything in this world. He loved kids as they were ususally easily talked into a game of any sort and if needed could be bowled over with ease in case the stick was not returned in due time. Never did he hurt one but he always would get his way! So for many years him and his mom where my constant companions. And I mean we went everywhere. Unfortunatly I lost him to a heartattack at age 12. Only 3 short months after I lost his mom. To this day I know he missed her as much as I did.

flash1.jpg

Flash.jpg

After I moved from Dallas to Houston and I lost my Gem I added a red and white dog to my other two named Zip. I bought her sight unseen just because I had fallen in love with her sire after getting to see him work in a feedlot! She was a strange dog for sure. Never did like herding. But aggressive! Hated lariat ropes and shotguns! And considering I dated a teamroper that loved skeetshooting at that time it had a tendency to get quite funny! They actually loved each other. Actually they had about the same personality! In my whole time of owing dogs this was the only one I ever lost to a car accident. She was only 4 years old at that time. I don't have many pics of her as that was a very tough time in my life and I still own her only pup to this day. So here is a group photo of Flash, Zip and Sly!

FlashZipSly.jpg

And now I am hoping that for a while there will not be anyone else added to this list. These guys are/were without exaggeration my pride and joy and as close to family as I have. They were a constant source of comfort and joy and I do miss every one of them still. Of course some more than others and I feel bad even saying it.

Hi badgerboy!

No they never do.

I have still got a female out of my old man and one of his sons here.

It is with some sorrow as well as with a lot of joy that I many times look at them and see

their parents and grandparents in them. But they will never take their place.

They in their own way will leave their marks on my life and I would not ever want to be

without them.

Everyone takes comfort in different aspects of their lives. My dogs are mine. They are not

my children even though I don't have any. And they are not my two legged family. That place

is reserved for my parents and sister.

They are in a class all by themselves. They make me laugh. They make me cry. They

make me happy. They make me angry. But most of all, they make me a better person.

Rolf, I really do!