BC Boards

Help Dehydration and Starving

DixiesDad

You are certainly doing the right thing. Has the vet given her Doxycycline for the Ehrlichia? This poor girl has lots of problems, but she's really lucky you found her and are doing all you can. Good luck with her, and please keep us posted,

Anna

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a long laundry list but believe it or not it's not anywhere near hopeless! The edema both in her thorax and her legs can be caused by either the HW or the tick disease, or a deadly combination of the two. She'll be right as rain when the two get under control. Of course you'll have to be absolutely religious about the HW pills and if you are not keeping her I'd do the treatment instead - you can't be sure that someone else would never ever ever ever miss a treatment for the next year or so (the lifespan of a HW).

She definitely needs meds for the ehrlichia - doxycycline. Unfortunately this will affect her appetite but ehrlichia is a sure killer and will cause permanent problems in an older dog very quickly (kidneys and nervous system disorders). Would your vet consider keeping her overnight and keeping her on fluids and doing IV doxycycline? This would give her a HUGE jumpstart and take some of the burden off your shoulders. I know how intense it is!

You've got a rough row to hoe with her but I believe it will not be in vain. Please feel free to PM me if you need advice or even just a shoulder to cry on.

Dixie's Dad,

Is your vet treating the ehrlichia? Ehrlichia is one of the worst of the tick-borne diseases and you should start treatment as soon as possible, IMO. If you need really good advice on treatment of TBDs, I can give you the information to subscribe to Tick-L--there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on that list, including vets experienced in dealing with TBDs.

J.

Whew! That's quite a list of troubles that poor girl's got. Can I just say, THANK YOU for helping poor Lady. She looked really quite happy in the pictures you posted. I'm sure she is so happy to be with someone who cares. Kudos to you and your family for doing what you can.

Poor Lady, how could she have looked as happy as she did in her pictures? She's quite a dog, it seems. I really admire you for helping her. However it turns out, it's sure better than dying in a ditch. Gosh. I'm glad that some of the board members have been through similar problems and can help by sharing their experiences and suggestions. Best wishes.

The pervasive weakness makes me wonder about anemia. How is her gum color and capilary refill?

When my old Molly went off feed for five days during a bout with autoimmune haemolytic anemia, we used a paste made of soybean oil, liver, and corn syrup to get as many calories as possible into her in a small volume of food. I think there was a similar commercial product for debilitated dogs available from the vet for $35 or $40 a tube, but I made up my own.

Lady is lucky that you found her. I hope she responds well to the treatments. She does sound like a survivor given all the things that she has going on. I'll be sending lots of good thoughts her way. Thank you again for your kindness.

We just wanted to send a heartfelt THANKYOU to all who answered our call for help. Lady sends her LOVE and PRAYERS to everyone. Her appetite is good. Returning to Vet Thursday to see how her meds are working then procede to next phase. As everyone now knows (and probably knew before I did ) unless someone claims her Lady is staying here . So don't be surprised if I call for help again. Again THANKS EVERYONE

I bless you from the bottom of my heart for doing right by this girl. And you are doing right by giving her a chance. And I'm glad to hear that she has a forever home with you and yours, if no one claims her.

It sounds like most of her health problems are fixable. Good luck and I hope that she is feeling better soon.

Poor girl. I'd love to get ahold of the person that did that to her!

But rescue can be so rewarding. Seeing these dogs get another chance and a new lease on life makes it all worth the while.

When I was better off financially and lived with my mom, I used to resue, fix up, and re-homecats and dogs (mostly cats)that people had dumped on our land.

Sicne I'm chronically ill, right now I basically just take stray animals in, (mostly feral kittens and dogs),and get ahold of my various friends in the cat and dog rescue and they take it from there.

Took Lady to the Vet yesterday to have blood drawn and xrays. The xrays show what the vet believes to be enlarged veins in her lungs that she feels are caused by the heartworms. This is something we'll keep an eye on. We started her on Heartguard to treat the Heartworms, Doxycycline in case of the TBD, and Deramaxx for the trauma to her thorax. She shows signs of anemic which is believed caused by the worms. Finished up her treatment for hookworms and roundworms lastnight. The good news is the bloodwork came back from UGA Vet Clinic this afternoon and in the Vet's words it was great. :D:D I believe That she thought as I did it was going to be all out of kilter but it wasn't. No trouble with kidneys or liver, just a little raised white count due to the injury, and the anemia which we're treating. She's really improved. :D:D:D Great appetite (eats all we give her and wants more), pays attention to her surroundings, and this afternoon when Cheryl walked her she raised her tail. The one you need to really Thank is Cheryl. She helps take care of Lady and puts up with me. :rolleyes:

WONDERFUL! I've been thinking of you guys and Lady. This is such a great story - you must continue to keep us informed.

Nutri-Cal is one brand of the high-nutrient paste that Bill mentioned. I needed it a couple of years ago and it was available at my local pet supply store, and wasn't too expensive ($6.99 at the website I linked to). The puppy really liked it, too.

But, it sounds like you are doing a great job with her nutritional needs (along with everything else!), so perhaps you won't need the Nutri-Cal or Bill's recipe anyway.

You are wonderful for giving 100% to this dog in her last years.

temp031807002.jpg

temp031807010.jpg

temp031807001.jpg

It's hard to believe this is the same dog I posted to get help for. I wondered if she was going to make it through last Sunday night to that Monday. The Vet she she wouldn't blame me if I had her PTS but I couldn't do that. Now look at her. She still has some issues we're working on but she's come a long way and she's such a sweet Girl

Was just about to say what Eileen said. That first pic says it all.

There's a story going on here in Oz about a mini poodle rescued in appalling condition - near death - from a puppy farm (he'd been used/abused as a stud). In just a few weeks he's recovered amazingly - and in the pics of him, there is that same look of love, and absolute trust. You'd swear these dogs knew exactly what was going on.

Absolutely well done to the pair of you for what you've brought into this dear sweet lady's life.

What you've done is nothing short of great. I really admire you and Lady is one heck of a lucky dog. I've said this before, but I believe things happen for a reason. Even though you weren't ready for a dog, your paths crossing was no mere coincidence. That's how the best lessons in life are taught.

Congratuations to you and Lady. You have my respect and admiration.

Truely AMAZING....She looks wonderful. You have clearly worked a miracle with her. May all your lives be filled with joy. As I said to someone else, Everything that goes around, comes around. Your kindness and love will be returned.