BC Boards

Help Dehydration and Starving

DixiesDad

We have become a rescuer before we're ready. Took a side dirt road home from town today and found a Border Collie (looks purebreed) abandoned in the ditch. Not sure if injured or just left, she looks like she is advanced age. Someone left food which let's us think she's been there over a week because it was swollen and sour from rainwater and it's been over a week since the last rainstorm. She was extremely thirsty but we're allowing her only so much at a time because we fear to give her too much.

She has trouble standing and walking but we're unsure if lack of nurishment, illness or injury the cause. There are two large mostly healed sores (but hair gone) on the left front and rear which we believe are the result of her lying in the ditch for a long period. Want to give her a bath and treat these with vet salve we have if this is OK. We don't want to stress her anymore.

We have given her some chicken broth to eat and a little dry but she seems unable to eat the dry. Any suggestion on what to feed her. Maybe some can? Her canine teeth have been cut off about halfway. We're sure of this because the ends are too square for broken or worn teeth. Anyone knows why this would be done. Her front bottom are either broken or worn down due to age.

Will take her to our vet tomorrow to have her checked. We're worried about possible kidney problems due to lack of water. Any suggestions on what we should do for her would be greatly appreciated. Really would like to bath her. I think she'd feel better and she stinks.

I feel someone left her there with that food and she has stayed there waiting on them to return. When we found her she wouldn't try to stand and her eyes were glazed. Already she tries to follow us around for petting and her eyes are clearer. She is in a crate in the garage now. The temps here are 65 in the day and 45 at night. I'm fearful to put her anywhere else till she sees the vet, don't want to risk Dixie's health.

We want to and will do right by this old girl. So send the advice please.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Sounds like you came along just in time for this old gal, Dixie's Dad! Thank you for bringing her home and making her as comfortable as you can. It sounds like you are on the right track with keeping her confined and calm, watching her carefully, and giving her small amounts of liquids at a time. If it were me, I would maybe mix her up some electrolyte, particularly if she's not eating, and offer her that to drink--but still in small amounts. I'm sorry that I can't find the recipe I used in my younger years on the farm, so I can't give you the proportions, but it was basically water mixed with white Karo syrup, salt, and (I think) baking soda. I'd also offer a little bit of canned food to see if she were interested in that. Otherwise, I'd just keep a close eye on her.

I understand the temptation to bathe her and clean her up, but my instinct would be just to sponge off the sores and keep them clean and dry. Until I knew if she were the kind of dog who would lick and worry at the spots, I would avoid putting any salve on them...otherwise, she might ingest some of that substance. Would a gentle brushing help get some of the stinkiness off her without stressing her too much?

Sorry not to be more helpful. I'm sure other folks will offer you more useful advice. I mostly just wanted to thank you for picking up this poor BC and taking care of her. I hope you keep us posted on her progress and on what you learn at the vet's tomorrow. Oh, one more thought: is your vet one you could call for a brief phone consultation? That might give you piece of mind and some good tips for how to help her as much as possible until you can get to the clinic itself.

Thanks for helping this poor old pup! She is very lucky you came along. I'm not a vet, but I would probably try a watered down solution of pedialyte (electrolyte beverage) or watered down Gatorade. If she is unable to eat the dry food, you can try mixing some watered down chicken broth/bouillon with the dry food and making a watery paste for her to eat. If you try canned, I would water it down with the diluted chicken broth also to make it very easy to consume. I wouldn't bathe her yet either, but a sponge-type bath to clean the wounds is a good idea.

Best of luck!

Thanks for taking in this poor girl. I just can't believe some people :rolleyes:

My vet always reccomends baby food strained meat for weak/ill animals with a poor appitite. You can mix it with a bit of broth or electrolytes to add extra fluids. It's very easy to eat and digest.

Just be sure to check baby food labels to make sure it doesn't contain onion powder. Too much onion can be toxic to a dog (this was told me by a vet WRT a kitten I had rescued late on a Sunday with no access to a vet and so got baby food at the store--a dog may not be as easily affected, but be careful).

You can check if she's dehydrated by pinching some skin on the back of her neck. If it stays "tented" up for more than a second, she's definitely dehydrated. Also, if her eyes appear sunken, that can be another sign of dehydration. Is her color good (good pink gums)?

I agree with the idea of making a "soup" out of something like Pedialyte and canned food. No need to chew, and stinky wet food may stimulate her appetite. Browned ground beef, canned tuna, or cooked or canned chicken meat may smell good enough to encourage her to eat as well. You could also put ice cubes in a bowl for her--it will limit her ability to overindulge in water but give you a bit of a break from having to constantly offer her some.

I gave my bitch molasses in her food after whelping to help with stress and energy needs. You could add a little molasses to the wet food soup or her water--the sweetness may encourage her to eat/drink it, and it does contain good stuff.

As for the teeth--dog teeth do wear down square. My older girl Willow has canines that are quite square tipped.

Only you can decide if she's up for a bath. If you decide to bather her, be sure to use warm water and a mild shampoo and make sure she's thoroughly dry before putting her back in the garage. As it's already late on Sunday, it may be best to just wait and let the vet check her first.

Bless you for caring and stopping to help this poor dog. May good karma come back to you manyfold.

J.

To update she seems to be responding. She is eating a mix of cream of chicken soup, chicken broth and cooked rice. Eats all we'll give her and wants more but we're limiting the amount. We 're feeding her small amounts every 2 hours. She is also drinking and we're limiting the amount each time but offering it every hour. She seems to be crate trained cause she was no problem to get her to go in and she wants back in after we have her out for awhile. She does have age on her. Her teeth are worn down. Nubs in the front. As suggested I think I'll give her a little Gatorade at her next water break. She is perking up. When first found could not stand now she walks, alittle unsteady, around the yard for an attempt at a potty break. Also her eyes were glazed when we found her, now their clearer, she smiles and when my wife brought in the food dish she wagged her tale. Vet visit tomorrow. Hope they don't mind a smelly dog.

I would also like to thank you for taking in this dear old soul. Julie P said it the best

May good karma come back to you manyfold.
I wholeheartly agree. Many of us on this site have a particular soft spot for 'old dogs' and can tell you that there is nothing as special as the love an older dog bestows for the kindness shown. I hope all continues to go well for her.

Sounds like she is responding to care. Hopefully the vet check will show the old girl has some quality time left so she can experience life with people who care.

I can't imagine abandoning an old dog like that. Most of us with old dogs are doing everything we can to keep them going with quality life for as long as possible and then we hear about abandonments like this one. It makes me so angry I can't even express it properly.

Please keep us posted on how she does. Thanks for caring and taking her in.

What you have done and are doing for this old girl is wonderful. Bless you for caring and taking care of her!

Your program of small, tasty, easily digested meals sounds good to me.

Best wishes!

I am greatly encouraged. Her kidneys have functioned twice and she has a good appetite. She eats all we give her and wants more, but it has to be soft because of her teeth. temp031007005.jpg

temp031007003.jpg

She still walks with obvious pain in both front legs and has some trouble with balance. We're seeing vet tomorrow.

I think your wonderful!

I wish more people would take the time to care like you have. You didn't have to stop, you could easily have assumed it was some one elses problem and kept going. Frankly I generally lose faith in humanity, but all it takes is one moment like yours and I know we can't all be so rotten.

I hope the vet has good news tomorow.

Sara

Just wanted to add congratulations and best wishes to you and the dear old lady. Bless you for caring for her, and well done on the change you have made in her already. As Sara says - restores people's faith in human nature. Hope she gets a good report from her vet visit. Don't forget to get the vet to scan for a microchip and/or look for a tattoo - not that she needs to go back to her former owners if they were the ones who dmped her.

Wow, she's a nice looking 'old girl'. I wonder what would possess someone to just dump her off? Looking forward to how she makes out at the vet's. Thanks again for being her guardian angels :rolleyes:

Beautiful dog.

I"ve rehabbed several dogs back from starvation. Your instincts are good. You'll be frustrated at the apparent lack of progress for a while after she starts seeming more "normal". It takes a while to go from being not able to walk, to having what we'd think of as normal BC energy - or even doggy energy for that matter. There will be a long time when she is able to take short walks but will seem to tire out very suddenly just inches past where she was able to go the day before. All normal.

I often put these dogs on a joint type supplement as soon as they are eating normal food. There are nutrients in these supplements that they won't be getting in normal amounts until their appetite is back to normal (if it ever gets there). Using the supplements can overcome the plateau they reach - think of body building. I use a supplement that has creatine in it, too, to support muscle restoration. Also, give her about a teaspoon of raw honey before each meal - this will help settle her tummy.

ETA: Eggs are your friend. Whirl an egg, complete with shell, in the food processor or blender. Cook it over low heat in some olive oil until it's turning opaque. Cool and feed plain, or with boiled white rice. Two eggs a day and one cup of rice, will keep body and soul together. Mix the egg in with canned food gruel to increase palatability and make it easier on the tummy.

Go slow, be patient, but don't baby her too much either. Let her set the pace but make sure you still treat her like a dog, with rules. Kind rules, of course, but the greatest thing a dog needs, when they've lost a home, is structure.

Good luck!

We decided to call her Lady. Kelpiegirl, we noticed the swelling and it's the left front that is the most swollen. Also she has difficulty walking. Trying to determine if arthritis or injury.

Got back from the vet an hour ago an put Lady back in her crate. The news is not so good. She has a lot of problems. Tested positive for heartworms, hookworms and whipworms. Also Ehilichea positive (from tick bite). She has an edema in the area of the thorax from a possible blow. Also has a temperature (Vet believes temp caused by the whipworms). There is a mass in mammaurychain. Vet says she wouldn't fault me if I PTS but I promised her my help so as long as she is tolerating treatments and it's improving her quality of life. We're going to go a step at a time. Vet gave her fluids to help keep her hydrated. Giving med to help knock down fever and I'll monitor temp. Also to help with inflamation and pain in her legs. Start tomorrow on worm meds for three days. Then we're going to try a different approach to the heartworms. Her case seems to be very mild so we'll just put her on heartguard. The UGA Vet School says this is an alternative in mild cases. The adult hearyworms there now will die naturally but they'll be no replacements because of the heartguard. When we get this far the next step will be determined by her condition. Vet says we could bathe her but decided to wait cause we felt she had had enough today.

I still can't believe she was done this way. This was someones working dog. She is crate trained, well mannered and doesn't bark. She gives a low whine when she needs something. The Vet says shes sweet and been handled often. Hope we doing right by her.

How can you possibly doubt that you are doing right by her?

Of course, if it turns out to be the best choice, you can let her go in the easiest way. It's not necessarily the first choice; it might be a necessary choice.

But, think of this in human terms. If you'd found an aged woman in the ditch with an old bag of fast food, would you not have done the same? And would you now opt for massive opiates because she had physical problems?

OK, I'm probably a tad odd, even for an Episcopalian. But, when I hear what Jesus said, I see "the least" as not just people - but as all kinds of animals - and plants - and the whole Earth.

Bless for taking in Lady. If you end up having to euthanize then no one will fault you. She is definitely very ill with a lot going on. If you make that decision then at least you know she was loved her last days which may be a lot more than she has had in the past.

Good luck with trying to help her. She looks so sweet.