BC Boards

I'm going to have a foster dog!!!

I was asked by a local rescue group if I could foster a Border Collie for a little while. His people took him to the vet to have him put down because he has seizures. The vet refused because the dog is only 3 years old and is otherwise in good health. Somehow the owners agreed to turn the dog over to this rescue that the vet is somehow connected with. The vet has him on medication for the seizures and he's fine.

I went to meet him today. He's overweight and very shy. I sat with him for about 5 minutes before he got comfortable enough to interact with me at all - and that was tentative. Still, compared to Speedy when we got him, this dog was downright sociable with me. His coat is in bad shape - I'm guessing he lived outside based on his coat condition, but it will be gorgeous when it starts to improve. He's a beautiful red with very expressive light brown eyes. They are the color of Dean's brown eye.

In spite of the fact that he will make #5, albeit temporarily, I couldn't say "no". I think being here for a bit will do him some good.

I'm getting him on Monday.

good luck with him. A little love and training goes for a long loving home. Only my best. Some of the best working dogs have problems, might be a little harder to place. Maybe if you get that weight down, you might have a better chance. I hate fostering. I always want to keep them.

That's great. I bet after he's around you for a little while he'll be great. Maybe you'll add another one to your pack? :rolleyes: That sounds a lot like Black Jack when I first met him, very shy, not to sure of anyone, and his hair was very dry too. It took me a good day or to for him to trust me enough to come to me. Good luck, I hope he loves his new (temp) home.

Poor guy, thanks for taking him on. Our Briars seizures are totally under control at this point and not a big deal to give her meds twice a day. Make sure he has lots of water on hand, the meds make them thirsty. And have a bit of vanilla ice cream on hand in case he dose seize, the cold and the sugar help them recover.

Congratulations!

I also know epileptic dogs that have perfectly normal lives even with no seizures at all in years once in meds.

A belly rub to you by fostering him and a pat in the head to the vet by refusing putting him down.

Way to go! What a wonderful thing to do. My previous dog was subject to very severe seizures, but as long as he got his meds twice a day, he was fine and never had any other problems. I'll look forward to seeing and hearing more about this lucky boy.

I hate fostering. I always want to keep them.

I know I'm going to have that problem, too, but I think having five in the house will help me keep perspective!

Maybe you'll add another one to your pack?

Not this time! Between Speedy and Dean, I definitely have all the Border Collies I can handle right now! Even with the mutts to help me keep them in line!! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for helpin the poor guy!! Pictures!!! lol

Definitely! I'll take a ton of pictures!

Make sure he has lots of water on hand, the meds make them thirsty. And have a bit of vanilla ice cream on hand in case he dose seize, the cold and the sugar help them recover.

Thanks for that advice! I will make sure to do both of those things.

a pat in the head to the vet by refusing putting him down.

I am so grateful to that vet! I tend to hear a lot of bad things about vets - particularly many of our local vets. This one is really extraordinary!

My previous dog was subject to very severe seizures, but as long as he got his meds twice a day, he was fine and never had any other problems. I'll look forward to seeing and hearing more about this lucky boy.

I hope that turns out to be the case for this guy, too! I'll let you all know how it goes!