BC Boards

lab-bc mix/chocolates

My pedigreed chocolate lab female accidentally got mated to a neighbor dog whose ancestry is unknown, but he looks very Border Collie.

She had 8 puppies: five black with collie white markings, and 3 chocolate (almost totally, one has some white feet).

I am surprised because I thought chocolate was recessive, and wouldn't occur unless both parents had chocolate in their genes. Is there such a thing as a chocolate Border Collie?

Does anyone have thoughts to share about this?

red is recessive so ya both would have to carry the gene, BC's DO come in red and white, the shades ranges from almost yellow to a dark chocolate.(hence why we call it red and white and not Chocolate, although in austrialia they do call the darker red chocolate and lighter red is known as "aussie red")

Also, though it may not be the case in your particular situation, bear in mind you can have half-siblings in the same litter. This would happen if she were bred by two or more different males - in case the possible-BC dog had "competition" for your Lab's affections. I've seen a number of litters where you have a bunch of pups who look alike and then one or two who are clearly NOT the same (as in, a Golden retriever litter with one Rottie-marked shortcoated pup, for instance). Sometimes this comes as a complete surprise since the odd pup out may be sired by a dog which can jump fences or something of that nature.

However, if the "culprit" sire is a mix, God only knows what genetics he might have lurking in his background, just waiting for a chance to pop their adorable little heads up. Plus BCs can have a WIDE range of appearance, so even a purebred BC might produce a variety of different "looks".