BC Boards

A-frame lowered in USDAA

Hooray! Just read that, effective April 1, the a-frame will be lowered to somewhere between 5'9" and 5'11" for the big dogs in USDAA. Yay!!! Actual height of frame will depend on length of a-frame sides, but it's a nice break from the monster 6'3" frame. Now if they can just make that tire opening a little bit bigger ...

USDAA is no harder on dogs than any other course.

In my opinion AKC is the hardest on the dogs due to their yank-em-around tight corners and lack of flow. USDAA courses are flowey, but difficult at the same time. ANd I've never had a dog with a jumping injury in 15 years. . . including my dysplastic retriever who spent 6 years jumping 30". . .

I also think that NADAC's higher speeds and lower jumps are not good for dogs either. . . but everything is my opinion.

Anyway, I'm so glad they lowered it so soon. Knowing someone on the board, and knowing Ken somewhat, I figured it would be at least a year before it came down. THe key is IFCS lowering theirs. USDAA's big thing is being 'international standards' so if IFCS and FCI both lowered their A-frames, USDAA has no reason to keep theirs up.

Goodness for all!

I know! I just read that too, yay!!!

I like USDAA courses, I just don't like how hard on the dogs it can be, so I really like the changes they are making!! Yippee!

My BC Skye competed in USDAA first at 30". then at 26" and earned his ADCH! He continued doing agility until he was almost 11 years old. I'm glad USDAA lowered their Aframe, but I don't think USDAA was all that hard on fit dogs, even before they made changes.

Barb S

It wasn't ever that hard, no. It was still safe by all means.

But I don't want to get all into what is good and bad for their bodies - we have to face the fact with agility, all agility is going to do something to the dogs no matter what, after that it is mostly personal opinion/experience. :D

Congrats to Skye for an ADCH. :D

I hope Dazzle will be competing until at least the ripe old age of 100, although if that is to hard, I could live with 99. :rolleyes: