BC Boards

In memory of "Rush" a childs teacher and friend

Pat W.

Last October my daughters 1st agility dog passed away. Although we had known Rush for 10 yrs he was ours for only 4 of them. He came from Virginia and had a ABCA tattoo on his inner thigh but I never took the time to look up the number. He was given to my agility trainer for her husband to train and compete in agilty with. George was a good man, stern but good, he suffered from bone cancer and needed a cane to walk. Rush was the lone bc in a world of GSD's as my trainer bred and showed them in conf as well as agility. Rush and George were a great team, they drew attention when the were in the ring. Not for a spectacular run or being blistering fast but for the fact that Rush would simply set his pace to Georges and that was it no slower or faster doing everything asked of him. Georges cancer remained in remission for several years until he needed a knee replacement and then it just went wild, and he was no longer able to run Rush. During this time my daughter was bitten by the agility bug badly, she wanted to compete. We weren't ready for another dog, we had two in the house Ashe my current agilty partner and Riley my partner in training. Knowing how much Breanna wanted to compete George offered her the opportunity to run Rush, a year later George passed away and left Rush to Breanna in his will. Rush and Breanna wowed competitors and spectators alike when they stepped into the ring. He was a big lanky bc 23 inches and 50 lbs, she a petite 7 yr old his back reaching her waist. He taught her the joys of winning and how to lose gracefully. He would wait patiently while she figured out where next to go if she got lost on course and trot along at her speed as her little legs would go as fast as they could. Together the competed in two USDAA Nationas at the Jr handler level, although she almost always ran championship, and achieved a PD1 title before he retired. In turn she taught him how to play, something he had never really experienced with this other owners. They were best friends and he would do anything for her. I will never forget that silly hound like bark of his or how he lit up whenever a ball was brought out and simply bounced for him. He loved agility and would jump 16 inch jumps in the backyard like he was running for blue. Patient and sweet he gracefully accepted the positionof Omega in our pack although the only intact male in the bunch. He loved meatloaf, grapes, applecores and just about anything else you gave him, was a grinner, never EVER growled at anyone. He loved puppies and took all their antics in stride always gentle with them. In short Rush is perhaps the gentlest soul I have ever met, we were blessed with his presence for only a short time. Rush runs with George now hopefully there is meatloaf a plenty and someone to bounce a ball for him. If I needed describe with in two words they would be Gentle Man. Goodbye Rush I know I've said it before but we miss you.

I love to hear about Rush. It makes me very glad that you gave him such a great home and that he had so much joy with your daughter.

Do you have a picture of him that you could post, maybe?

• 2 weeks later...