BC Boards

A Lambin' We Will Go ...

jdarling

Julie - Cool! I expect mine to start popping like crazy this weekend. Somehow, i have ended up with (gulp) 36 bred ewes. I usually do, oh 20 or so. But every single one of my ewe lambs got bred this year, where it's usually less than 50%. I'm going to be overrun with sheep in no time. :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie - Cool! I can't wait to see pics! Do you have a horned Karakul ram that you use? They have some awesome looking horns, and their faces always look (don't laugh) "intelligent" to me (ok ... you can laugh).

Here's my newest lamb ... it's a ewe.

200441.jpg

And poor Robin ... what ever will you do with all those cute little lambs when they get the zoomies around your pasture?

Answer: Take lots of videos and post them here so we can all see! :rolleyes:

Jodi

We finished '07 lambing with a single ram Monday morning. Seven ewes, seven rams. We have plenty pasture here in VA valley now, so everyone is turned out most the day. I can't believe I got through that snowy/icy week with five ewes delivering 8 lambs. I felt like I was running a b & b for sheep! If I ever breed again...it will be planned for an April lambing!!!!

post-6686-1175033753_thumb.jpg

We are up to 11 lambs so far with 6 more ewes to go. We have two polypay ewes that were bred to a dorper cross ram and the rest of the ewes are Katahdin or Kat x Dorper crosses.

Our one ewe who usually has triplets actually had a set of quads this year. The fourth one didn't survive. I wasn't home at the time and it appears that she just didn't get the placental sac off of his face.

Kathy

Mona, that ram lamb is adorable! Are you going to keep him as a ram?

I have two ewes left, one that looks like an aircraft carrier every time she lays down. All of mine are first timers, so I am wondering if she's going to twin ... even though the rest of them singled.

2eyf8cn.jpg

Jodi

Mona - Very pretty! My ewes decided to start a bit early this morning, their due date was this coming saturday but this morning out popped 2 sets of twins. All are ram lambs and one looks a lot like that black and white ram lamb. I also got a white one, a red one, and a red & white. Colorful!

All that grass and lambs makes me excited. We lambed out 16 ewes in January (by accident....don't keep the ram lambs in with their moms too long).

We have about 110 ewes to lamb starting April 15...some are as big as houses....all the pictures sure are upping the anticipation of lambing...keep them coming!

Cynthia

Wow Robin, I don't envy you all those preggers ewes! But I may be in the market for a few weaned wethers, so let me know when you decide you need to do something about your population explosion! I still haven't had any more--I think the ewes are in a conspiracy to keep me waiting.

J.

Julie - Believe me, i'll have plenty to part with! I actually might sell a few ewes with wether lambs at their side to get my numbers down even quicker. It's crazy having this many sheep. But i'll have plenty if you want some. They should be really pretty too. My rams were both red&white so i hope to get a lot of those.

You DO realize that this lamb looks like a Holstein calf right? AND her mother's name is "Elsie" a well known dairy cow's name? Even though Elsie wasn't a Holstein, it still is fitting that your Elsie had a lamb that looks the part :rolleyes:

This is Elsie's first time as a Mom, little ram lamb, isn't he colorful??

063234.jpg

Hi Robin,

I had another ram lamb when I went out to check this morning. My luck all of my karakuls will have rams and the two Scottish blackface will have crossbred ewe lambs (x w/ karakul). The new lamb is all black (well, they are Persian lamb after all) with a little pink nose.

Joy had a surprise set of twins out of a (we think) crossbred lincoln ewe from John Clouse. Both are black with a white spot on the poll and look to have really nice fleeces. But what a day to be born--nasty rainy day. My sheep don't have a shelter--just a little pen with a tarp over it, but I suppose being mostly dry helps....

I took pictures, but I'm on dial-up here and when I tried to upload to Photobucket, it failed and I haven't tried again. I'll get some up sooner or later.

J.

Jodi--I will probably make him into a wether. The one I'll probably keep entire is a

triplet lamb. He's about the same marked but choclate and white.

Kelpiegirl--yes, that's why we named her Elsie. As a lamb she certainly did look

the holstein part!

Robin-just love the colored lambs. I have a few whites this year but mostly the

choc/white lambs. Look at my new tri baby---not a lamb this one!

065731.jpg

He is a girl! Her name is Meg and I got her from Carol Campion in

Conneticut. She's a doll, we already love her. She's a smart little

turd and teases Willy terribly. HIGH ENERGY--typical pup! Jim had

her following him around as he dinked around outside and she took

off after a lamb so now we have to watch her. I'd gush some more

but I don't want to bore everyone. She's my entry ticket back into

the trialing world!

Carol has some nice dogs and produces nice pups. I know that she has a couple of dogs that she got from a guy here in WI, not far from me.

Thanks so much for sharing her picture,

Kathy

Hi Mona-

I know your puppy! I drove her from NY to CT when she was 9 weeks old.

Here are pics of a couple of half-siblings (out of the same sire,

Whiterose Kep). The first is my female that I have named Pip and the

other a male named Spy. Pip was 12 weeks in this picture and Spy was 9-1/2 weeks.

Kep is throwing some nice puppies (and he's a nice guy himself - I get to work him on occasion!) and they're very talented.

pipewe.jpg

CW