BC Boards

A Lambin' We Will Go ...

jdarling

We had our first lamb of the season this morning. A beautiful, healthy katahdin/dorper ewe lamb. Momma's doing great also. Of course, I had to take the day off from work to make mom and baby more comfortable, and then spend the rest of the day oogling over the little cutie. I have about 4 or 5 more ewes about to pop. I hope I have enough vacation time! :rolleyes:

2hftl68.jpg

(Thank you to Dianne for coming over and taking a couple of pics for me.)

Anyone else lambing?

Jodi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a cutie. but aren't they all! As of noon today my lamb count is 10! Four sets of twins and two singles. Mine are Tunis and are covered with red hair until the wool starts to come in. A Tunis/Coopworth cross had twins today, a red ram and a white ewe! Possibly four more ewes to deliver. This rain makes life messy, but it's so much better than all the ice! Patty

I was taking lots of pictures of the first lambs...now they are coming every day and I haven't gotten out there with a camera in a week! After this weekend we should be finished lambing. The oldest ewe(born '99) surprised me with a huge ram lamb this morning...she didn't look ready to me. Those experienced moms will fool you I guess. The first lambs and moms were returning to their jugs every night and expecting B&B service...put a stop to that today...I NEED the pens ladies!!!!! The breeze today dried up a lot of the ankle deep water. I'm still glad we have a barn full of old straw!!! I have a few pics of the first lambs on photobucket.com . Search for 2istxf8

10.jpg3.jpgI'm testing to see if I have this right.... Here's the link to one picture....don't know how to link to the site..... Maybe just remove the last segment of the link..... http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q288/2istxf8/10.jpg No more lambs born this weekend... the white lamb is a tunis/coopworth mix, the rest are all Tunis. Patty

post-6686-1173058172_thumb.jpg

post-6686-1173058280_thumb.jpg

Last year I only had to shear four of them. The others came shorn. This year they are covered with burdock burrs, so the wool is ruined. I will shear them by hand in a month or so(don't want to confuse the lambs!)There are four ewes with wonderful fleeces. I think I have four ewe lambs out of them with the same soft fleece. I plan to cover them after shearing this year. The rest have a more course type. I gave the wool to a friend last year...This year it will be mulch! I would like to learn to do rugs or felting with it. The big task is irradicating the burdocks in our long neglected pastures. Patty

You know, I was attracted to this by the working dogs and the sheep were kind of...pfft...incidental.

But the more time I get in with them, though, the more I am enjoying them. And these baby pics are enough to turn me broody as a hen.

We've been done about about a week. We had almost all ewes this year, which was just bizarro. I've got some pics on the camers and will get them uploaded when I come in for a landing for more than thrity seconds at a time.

Patty - that first picture just made me giggle...I just wanted to say "My what big ears you have". Too cute.

I love them all!!!!

Julie - if you don't have any when I come out next week then I will just have to make a trip out the following week too and bring Charlotte with me when you have itty, bitty babies!!!

I would really rather they have twins than triplets but it worked out that the

ewe pictured always has the most milk and her twins grow faster than some

singles so I'm hoping she can handle the mob. Of course she will get special

feed and pampering.

The shelter is a calf-hutch you can get at any ag or farm center. They are

4 ft. by 6 ft. I have three I use for lambing jugs and also use them for shelters

the rest of the year. Put them on a cattle panel and drag them wherever you

wish. They are a bit pricey. I believe I paid $150 for just one years ago. They

have a string in the back so you can open a little "window" in the back in hot

weather. A fair solution is you are pressed for time and cannot make your

own.

Mark, what breed are those adorable lambs.

We fly to England and drive to Yorkshire on April 25. And then it's all public footpaths to see all the new lambs. For a fortnight!

We got a new digital camera. So we'll get photos of lambs - and of every border collie we meet. And post them.

Mark---this is the first time any of my ewes has had triplets. I was surprised that

they are a good size. One just the littlest bit smaller than the other two. They are

all eating good and seem content. I will set up a creep for them in a couple weeks

and see if they'll supplement their milk diet. They are mostly Kathadin. I think I

will leave the little ram entire if he has good substance since he is a triplet. Wish

me luck that they all thrive. Mona

• 2 weeks later...

At last!--my first lamb was born early this morning to one of my karakul ewes, Lolita. A ram lamb, unfortunately, but he sure is a handsome little thing. He didn't get his mama's black and white coloring, except on his ears. I'm expecting that the rest will start lambing in fairly short order. I'll post pictures later.

J.