BC Boards

Gypsy and Flyball and Agility

Hi I got some shots of my girl in action yesterday in action doing Flyball training and a bit of agility. I was very excited because for the first time she got that weaving action that your expert dogs do when they work out the poles move a little and they put their head down backside up and go like the clappers . She still can be distracted by a couple of her mates when she sees them and decides what they are doing looks like more fun and she runs in circles "herding" them and I find it extremely difficult to get her back .Iknow she is still quite young do you think it will get better ? Does anyone have any advice ?Everyone in the club reassure me she is doing great and to focus on all the things that she does right not what she does wrong. Her recall everywhere else even on the beach is pretty much 100% so thats not the problem .Its just a bit frustrating at times

post-6019-1172458441_thumb.jpg

post-6019-1172458696_thumb.jpg

post-6019-1172459032_thumb.jpg

post-6019-1172459161_thumb.jpg

Nice pics - looks like she's having fun. It's so cool when they 'get' weaving, isn't it.

In relation to your question about her being distracted by the other dogs, I don't have a quick fix answer, but I'd say you need to do some more focus work. Do you use a tug toy as a motivator? If not, I'd probably suggest getting her going with one - you can get her really revved up, and as you work with her, pulling out the tug toy should divert her from racing off with other dogs.

Susan Garrett has got some good focus exercises - I'm sure there are others out there as well.

And yes - you're getting good advice - to focus on the positives - that doesn't mean giving up on the things you don't like - just work on being more exciting than the distractions - hece the tuggy or something like that that she will kill for.