BC Boards

O/T - How far would you go {Luisa you'll find this interesting}

to raise money for a cause? These ladies have true grit!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GRANDMOTHER BARES IT ALL FOR THE LOVE OF HER DOGS

September 5, 2006

Ottawa, Ontario

Stripped of their rights by the Ontario government, twelve ladies of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of Canada decided to ?bare all? to increase awareness for their plight while also raising funds for legal defense. These ladies have posed beautifully with nothing but their beloved Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

The group is led by none other than ?80+ years young? Squibs Mercier, who founded the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of Canada. Like the dogs she loves, Squibs has the qualities of a Staffie. She's honest, loyal, smart and brave?brave enough to bare all to support the dogs who have given her so much over the years.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of Canada founded in 1965, represents the interests of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The club is recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club as the National Breed Association for Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The club is involved in all sorts of activities that support the breed, but right now is focused on fighting the breed specific legislation in Ontario. They are a member of the Banned Aid Coalition which includes Advocates for the Under

Dog, The American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Canada, The Dog Legislation Council of Canada (DLCC), and the Golden Horseshoe American Pit Bull Terrier Club.

For media information on the launch of 2007 Beautiful Staffies and Their Ladies calendar contact Sarah Boileau at home: (613) 284-2321, 5pm - 10pm; at work: 613-591-6567 x 255, 8am

- 3:45pm or email: sarahb69@ripnet.com.

Thanks for this info, Kris cool2.gif Yet another reason Ontario can be thankful I'm in California :rolleyes:

One of the most insane things about BSL is that in North America and Europe, Staffies are nearly always included in the roundup of usual suspects: subjected to muzzling and other discomforts at best; extermination (see Denver, CO) at worst. And yet, as far as I can tell, there have been no deaths in North America attributed to Staffies, and I don't think I've ever heard about a registered Staffy involved in an attack on a human in the US or Canada. Which doesn't mean it's never happened, just that the media --- or I --- missed it. Staffies are fairly easy to ID at a glance, and they're not that common: 856 Staffies were registered with the AKC in 2005. (They're incredibly cute and the friendliest things ever, if you ask me.)

There have been a few attacks (not fatal) in England --- which shouldn't come as a terrible surprise, since Staffies are the fifth most popular breed in the UK in terms of Kennel Club registrations. (They follow labs, cocker spaniels, springers and GSDs, and have been in the top five since 2002, up from 8th place in 2000.)

Ironic that in England pit bulls are banned, but Staffies suffer no sanctions.

Gotta say all the Staffies I've met here have been absolutely lovely with people (though many are a bit problematic with other dogs.) There's a Staffy competing in UD here, who hasn't met a person he doesn't love - a bit of a worry in Stand for Exam, as he tends to wiggle his whole Staffy tank-like body in sheer delight. And the grin nearly joins at the back of his head.

But these are the smaller English Stffordshires - there are far fewer of the dogs called here American Staffordshire Bull Terriers - about 50% to 75% bigger.