BC Boards

Another color question....

Ok....we have a red tri female bred to red merle male. Both have brown eyes. Assuming both have blue eyes some where in the recent lines what are the chances of the new puppies having blue eyes?

What if only one parent has blue eyes in their back round?

I am asking purely from an informational point, so please don't get mad at me. I just know of two that have ben bred and I want to know if all the pups will be brown eyed because the parents are...or if because blue eyes ae in the back rounds what the chances will be some of the pups wil be blue eyed.

Thanks in advance....if there is a webpage for this sort of thing please link me!!..

:rolleyes::D

Cheers

Julie

I don't know if eye color works the same way in dogs as in people, but if so, here's how it works: one eye color gene from each parent, blue "b" is recessive and brown "B" is dominant. So a blue-eyed individual must be "bb", but a brown-eyed one might be Bb or BB.

If both parents are Bb, then you'd have a one in four chance of a blue-eyed (bb) offspring. If even one is BB, then no chance at all.

ETA: never mind, a brief internet search reveals that eye color in dogs is influenced by coat color, so it's probably not going to work the same way. Maybe we have some amateur (or professional) geneticists who'll answer.

And then, of course, are the split eyes. I don't know who the genetics work for that. One Border Collie I had years ago had one blue and one brown eye, and his mother had two split eyes - tops brown, bottoms blue - if made her look like she was always squinting. I know occasionally in humans you get them with different eye colours, but it is not as common as in dogs etc.

So, if there is any one here that can explain the genetics of split eyes etc that would be great. :rolleyes:

Merles certainly seem to have blue and split-colored eyes more often than solid colors - probably a factor of the mottling/dilution.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that stastically 1 in 100 normal (solid) colored BCs will have one blue eye, regardless of color. I do know of one dog that had several offspring, and then grand-children, all solid colored (black&white), all with one blue eye, so in my small world, it does seem to have a genetic basis. . .

But. . . I expect they pop up now and then in the weirdest of places. Basically, don't expect it, but don't be suprised either.. . .