BC Boards

NEW DOG what to do

OK kids i know this has been posted before by many others what should the the next Furry kid be MALE OR FEMALE???

right now we have a female (abby) and we have been talking about getting her a full time brother/sister no just a rent a brother or sister to competle the family i am taking a poll MALE or FEMALE. the thing is abby acts 100 times better with another dog around and seems alot happier to that is why we are thinking about this decision and looking to the pro's on this alot of poeple here in cincy's are leading us to a male to balance her out he are not looking to breed abby has she been fix so what do you think guys can you help me out

______ MALE

_____ FEMALE

Other things being equal, I personally prefer to have opposite sexes (mine are de-sexed). I was just reading an article today in which some researcher found that same gender was one (of many) factor in dog 'sibling' aggression. Obviously this is not to say that people can't keep 2 males or 2 females together quite happily - just that if there were no other important considerations for you, I would go with opposite sexes.

I would say probably a male. I would think that they would get along better. Not to say that another female wouldn't get along. We now have 1 female, and 1 male (my BC) and they kind of get along, but not really. She never was a dog person (um dog dog?) :rolleyes: But after what other people have said, and what I have read I would say go for the opposite sex.

post-6783-1171630044_thumb.jpg

I say male also we have two females and just added a little boy yesterday. He's in the picture , the girls loved him pretty much from the start. No aggression yet at all .... that said they were not quite so sweet to each other when we added our second female. Maybe it doesn't always go that way but it was much easier bringing "Mac" home last night.

I'm trying to make the same decision right now. My 2 females are now getting along fine but there was a time when the youngest was between 8 months and a year old that I thought we were going to have to keep them separated for life but things have calmed down now and all is well.

If we go male I know he could come into our pack without any problems and if we go female it could be more of a challenge. It's all a preference as to which sex your prefer.

Myself I think I'm going to wait until I meet the puppies and see which one chooses us.