BC Boards

How long does "heat" last

sweet_ceana

*** i want to clarify at the top of my post that we are not breeding Ceana, we just couldn't get her in to be spayed before we moved****

We went on a hike on Sunday and Ceana was exhausted before I was (very odd) and then the next day she began cleaning herself constantly... I began to suspect she was in heat and then that evening I saw swollen visual confirmation. ( I am glad I am not her) Of course she goes into heat within a week of our move. How long does "heat" last? I have been keeping her inside more than usual (no puppies!) and she hasn't been allowed off her leash or even on the leash around other dogs. Poor thing was pent up with snow in Colorado and now this. i want to keep her isolated for the whole shabang becuase pregnancy is not in her cards. How long until I am safe to let her interact again? It took two days for the bleeding to become notice-able, is there still a period of concern when it stops? i have only found info on heat in general, not about BCs... please tell me it is quick. Thank you all very much ahead of time.

On a funny note, I read a suggestion to use little boy underwear as protection in heat because the dogs tail fits through the fly on the front. Ceana is not so fond of the idea....chones003.jpg

The general rule of thumb is that a heat cycle lasts about 21 days. A week coming in, a week standing (when the bitch will accept males, though that period of time probably is really just a few days), and a week going out. That said, every dog is an individual and so the general rule may not apply *exactly* to Ceana. In the week she's going out, her vagina will start looking more normal (the swelling goes away). Many times a first heat will be shorter than average, but don't take not bleeding as a sign her heat is over. To be absolutely safe, protect her for the next three weeks, or if you think her heat cycle is over earlier than that, but you're not sure, consult your vet.

The boy's tighty whiteys are too funny!

J.

Just keep checking her and once she swelling has went away (totally) and there is no discharge, your in the safe (they stop bleeding but the swelling stays when they are ready to breed).

If you don't feel confident in yourself to tell or not, call your vet.

Cute picture by the way, I'm sure she is loving you for the moment! :rolleyes:

Katelynn

Like Liz said, the heat can last anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks. But the standing heat for each of my girls has not started right at the start of the 2nd week. It is usually later than that and seems to last at least a week. I typically keep my girls confined once they start into the 2nd all the way until day 22 or 23. Even tho they may have come out of "standing heat" the boys will still pester them a lot which is why I keep them separated from any boys until well past the 23rd day. Better safe than sorry.

Kathy

Just be careful. I had a bitch whose first heat was split. She was only in heat for 2 weeks, which didn't surprise me because it was her first. About a month later we were camped out at a trial and all of a sudden all the boys wanted her :rolleyes: Not only did she have a split heat, but she went right into a pseudopregnancy that lasted about 90 days. It's a good thing she only had eyes for my friend's neutered BC/Aussie.

One of my females is in standing heat days 22 to 24. The "average" time for standing heat is about day 14. Each dog is different, so play it safe and assume nothing.

with my 2 bitches i have played safe and waited a month before allowing off lead.

however this drives them crazy so i typically take them out to a remote field at around 00.30 - 01.00 when i can be sure there are no other dogs around and let them have a good romp around to burn some energy off.

fortunately they are both fully grown now (save for some filling out) so will be getting spayed come may :rolleyes:

Be careful. I had a bitch in heat 2nd week of February. In June - 3rd week - she had puppies. She showed no signs of being in heat the second time, and the boy did not show that he was interested, but obviously something happened at least once, 18 weeks before the puppies were born. The mom was 9 months when she had the pups, and I regret not getting her spayed at 5 months when she first came in season. Had her pups when she was soooo young.