BC Boards

need some advice from all of you

so I did what most people advised AGAINST even my friend who used to raise dogs and owned two BCs of her own.

we adopted a bc mix, andy in dec 2006 and frankie a husky/gsd mix in late Jan.

Andy is great....eager to please smart cookie, catches on very quickly. she is now 6 months old and we will be going to obedience class in 2 weeks.

Frankie was 11 weeks old when rescued from the pound. he spent all his life with his mother and siblings until the owner surrendered the pups to the shelter when they were 8 weeks old.....

I put an application for a pup....and got a call 3 weeks later....thinking I would put off another adoption at least one year after ANdy was with us...well obviously that did not happen.

the problem is maybe not even a problem. While Andy is affectionate and listens to commands easily, basically lives for our affection, Frankie is quite different. He is more interested in other dogs than pleasing us except when food is involved.

We have had him for almost 4 weeks...he is sweet and I take him out separately without Andy to meet people, places and things to socialize him..

He almost seems indifferent sometimes. The first week we had him I took him to the vet to make sure he wasn't ill because his behavior was not the typical puppylike behavior I am accustomed to.....

I have accepted and respected his personality and actually like that Andy and Frankie are different because they balance each other out.

AM I being overly concerned with Frankie not being so playful? Is it his husky side or GSD side that is contributing to his "aloofness". He is trainable but not as readily as Andy and keeps me waiting almost to the point of doing the command when he feels like it.

Sorry this post is so long.......All advice welcome.....and a big thanks in advance!!!

www.dogster.com/?44784

AM I being overly concerned with Frankie not being so playful? Is it his husky side or GSD side that is contributing to his "aloofness". He is trainable but not as readily as Andy and keeps me waiting almost to the point of doing the command when he feels like it.

Frankie sounds more aloof than shy. Huskies are said to be very independent minded dogs and that could be part of the behaviors you ar noticing. If you are concerned about his lack of biddability and interest in being with you, then I would recommend that you put a lot of time and energy into building a strong bond with him right now. You might want to put him on a Nothing In Life Is Free model where he must earn everything. This includes food, attention, toys, going outside, playing with other dogs, etc. You might also want to tether him to you so he can't wander off and do his own thing all the time. And be sure to spend lots of one on one time with him, including basic obedience training. I'd want to use a very positive training approach with a dog like this. Make being with you fun, exciting and rewarding for him.

That said, I find my young puppies often view me as a mixed bag. I am not as much fun as another dog and though I do lots of neat things for them, I also thwart them from fun at times. But as they mature, I find they all bond fully to me. However, it sounds like you may be concerned that Frankie's ability to bond. Have you read about Siberian Huskies and GSD's to get a better idea of what their personalities are like? Are there any Husky boards or email lists you could join for information? His personality sounds more like that side of his familty tree than the GSD side, though I'm not an expert on either breed.

The northern breeds in general can be much more aloof and seemingly less willing to please, especially when compared to a Border Collie or Border Collie mix. As long as your puppy is healthy, I would not fret over what is a different temperament as long as you are doing everything you can to ensure he's socialized and comfortable in different situations.

I had a Samoyed for many years and while she will always be an extra special memory, I do feel that Border Collie type dogs simply want to participate in every aspect of our lives whereas Kyra, my Samoyed, allowed me to participate in hers.

They are both adorable pups by the way...and you never know what the end result will be with pups. I had a very aloof Border Collie pup who is becoming more and more a velcro dog now that he is grown but the important thing is that they're healthy and happy...regardless of what that definition may be.

Maria

thanks for your quick replies. i have hand fed frankie since the first week so that he will associate human company as desirable. i just have to get the rest of the family to appreciate each dog's personalities..he gets special car rides and trips minus andy... he seems to have gotten over missing andy if she is not constantly with him. so my main concern was frankie turning out to be a fear biter when he is older... but he will get his own obedience training class also.....he is so cuddly and bear like.. id did meet a woman with a shiba inu who was similar to frankie..friendly but not into pda like andy nor her pug who is her cuddle dog...

I think Shetlander's advice sounds very good. It is basically how my daughter raised her pup who is half Samoyed and half Siberian Husky, both the "a lot of attention" and the NILIF. The two of them were together constantly, since she was able to take Tundra to work with her, which of course not all of us can do. Tundra will do pretty much anything for her. Tundra is indeed much more interested in other dogs than Daisy, who is much more interested in the people than the other dogs. But she does have that strong bond to her person. Apologizing in advance for my self-indulgence here.... I will add two pictures to support my assertion that this dog is very, very biddable!

surf1.jpg

surf2.jpg

I want to specify that there is a difference between a dog whose nature is aloof and one who is so fearful he could be a fear biter. You did not mention anywhere that he was fearful, simply that he did not show the same willingingness to be around you and preferred other dogs.

A Northern breed will bond just as much as any other, just in a different way and what you do to reinforce that bond should be the same type of training that you use for Andy as well.

Perhaps our most bonded dog was a Chow who never showed any distinct desire to please us....and yet the bond was unmistakeable.

What does he do to make you think he could become a fear biter?

Maria

thanks Maria.

when we go on trips out to petco or petsmart and people want to pet him he ducks his head...he does allow strangers to pet him but it seems like such an imposition on him when they do but he tolerates it.

i just worry that he might just bite out of fear one day.... most of the dogs I met/owned in my life were friendly except for one. ok there was one that was a watchdog that bit me when I was 6 ....someone else owned that dog

i may just be overreacting and mistake aloofness for timid or fear but I do want to do what I can to make him comfortable with all types of people and situations . I have kids in HS, MS and a 3 yo so he gets the full age range... my 3 yo is under constant supervision when she is with the puppies.

btw, nice pics shoredogs

Thanks. Some dogs just don't like strange people to get that up close and personal. Daisy the border collie would feel nervous and would dance out of the way if someone she didn't know tried to pet her. Even though I sometimes wish she didn't care, I don't make her submit to petting from people she doesn't know, and I don't get her in situations where she feels cornered. I doubt that will ever change. On the other hand, Tundra the husky/Samoyed is calm and friendly with everyone. I think you're doing lots of good things to help him be good with people, but if he turns out to be one of the shy ones, it might just be who he is.

A lot of people don't realize the proper way to approach the dog, I get it all the time when I take mine out to stores, they walk right up and start patting the top of the head. I have a few bomb proof dogs who don't mind this but more sensitive dogs can feel threatened and would prefer to be approached in a more "tactful" manner.

One thing I've always done with my rescue dogs is just sit on a bench in front of a busy store or supermarket with some treats handy. People naturally stop and I ask them to ask the dog for a sit (if he knows what that is) and to offer a treat. This makes a dog understand that strangers approaching him, regardless of their level of sensitivity, are a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with shielding your pup from overly friendly people who may have the best of intentions but end up spooking him. Or simply asking them to approach him differently.

Maria

My male Poppy was very aloof and snobby to me for like a whole week when I first got him, and he was very young. But he quickly came around and we bonded tighter than superglue! :rolleyes:

The only thing is definately keep socializing, because it helps so much.

Even with all the socializing we did, Poppy is also kind of fearful of new people, but he quickly comes around in most cases as long as they let him check them out first.

One of my techs at work has 11 Sibes (and a Mal). She mushes the Sibes, but has also trained and trialled them in obedience, agility and tracking, and in addition shows them in breed ring. She trains professionally and gets excellent results; she's also my all-time fave trainer that I've ever worked with for puppy classes. This is just to give you a sense of her credentials; as you might imagine she is INTIMATELY acquainted with the Siberian mind, since she has put titles on Sibes in all of the above arenas except the mushing (which is recreational for her). Her contention is that Sibes are plenty smart, but when training they want to know what's in it for THEM. This is quite a diff from BCs, who have a tremendous work ethic and enjoy the work for its own sake, as well as because they want to please the handler. According to Jill, the Sibes want to please THEMSELVES, and if you make it so that pleasing you is in the Sibe's best interest, they're perfectly willing to please you as well.... so long as there's something in it for them. The "something in it for them" part can vary from food rewards to toys to fun and excitement; depends on the dog what the best moitivator is.

As a BTW, one of her Sibes is a particularly dignified dog. He has tremendous presence and a sort of "elder statesman" self-posession that makes him both commanding and reserved. Not that he doesn't play or engage in silliness from time to time, but he is a serious dog, and will only tolerate fools because he has impeccable manners. He PREFERS that people not reach over his head to pet him. He'll tolerate it, because of his excellent manners, but I never approach him this way myself - even though he knows and likes me - because it seems like an affront to his dignity. I know he'd tolerate it, but it would be like being rude to a friend. Because they like you they might ignore or overlook your rudeness, but why would you want to be offensive to them in the first place? Anyway, it might be that your pup has some of this same reserve. That said, I'll point out that my puppy prefers not to have strangers reach over her head either, though she seems unconcerned when her friends do it. Anyone new to her or scary to her she ducks away from til she gets comfortable with them (at which time she'll mob them shamelessly). She IS a dog who, if pressed, would probably go to the teeth to defend herself (although less so as time goes on), so I typically manage this by suggesting to strangers that they reach UNDER her chin to pet her, not over her head, until she gets used to them. This typically heads it off before it becomes an issue (especially if they give her food!).... but there is a reason why her middle name is "Snarkypants". :rolleyes:

very interesting....the elder statesman angle...that is what I thought of when Andy and Frankie first met. Andy was so excited and just GUSHING with energy and Frankie seemed to be thinking ....settle down you silly dog!

He sat and watched her for a while and then got up and greeted her on his own terms....

The elder stateman thing did not last long for Frankie though.. Andy took the role of big sister/ master herder of the house and would put Frankie away in his crate..and he complies. He still acts like an elder statesman in general...now that I think about it some more. very dignified.

A very strange encounter with an overly exhuberant stranger happened at Petco about 2 weeks ago....He asked if it was OK to pet Frankie. I gave him permission but then the man proceeded to pick Frankie up, put him in the air and then buried his face into Frankie's chest and talked baby talk to him for almost 30 seconds...then he put Frankie down and walked away...without saying another word to me....very shocking.

Most people are polite but I forget to tell them to pet under the chin.

My 3 yo daughter puts Frankie through the paces. I tell her to be gentle and respectful dogs in general but she forgets a lot and I see his irritation and intervene.

He is pretty calm....Hardly ever barks except when I take Andy out first. but then I have to ignore him and let him out after he is quiet. Even when he barks it is a "polite" bark. ... or he yodels.....Even with the cats he is "gentle"...The cats have smacked Andy around because she is like a torpedo after them...but Frankie has a different approach with the cats...If he gets in the cats' face too much they smack him too....but not as much as Andy....

Well thanks again....I will try the sit at the bus stop and let strangers go by exercise...that is a good one...I sure wish I could take him to work with me..

And of course do the NILIF or (all good things in life come from me and you have to earn every little bit of it)

Shoredogs, your daughter is so lucky to be able to take her dog to work with her.

I knew I posted in the right place...i searched husky/gsd mix etc on google and posted in different forums but these answers are the best so far. You guys are great!

It would be wonderful if every dog could tolerate the kind of crazy stranger interaction you describe, but I don't think that's realistic. If Frankie handled himself at all acceptably, then good for him, and if he didn't, then it just speaks to not assuming strangers have any sense at all and shielding him a bit more, is what I think. Good for him, being gentle with the cats. I have one more contribution that belies the image of northern breeds as being not as good with small animals:

withkitty.jpg

Tundra, the husky/Samoyed, LOVES cats! [i get so tempted when it comes to pictures of Tundra, of whom I'm extremely fond...]