BC Boards

Google.com Looking at our Profiles?

If you look at the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see everyone that is online. If you click the "Last Click" link, you'll then be pulled to a page which shows not only who is online, but also what they are doing (ie - Registering, viewing profile, viewing a thread, etc.). I think it's a great idea, but does anyone else see that "Google.Com" is viewing member's profiles???

You can view what I see if you'll click on the attached thumbnail... Is this just a mess up or is Google.com always on because it's the forums default search engine?

UPDATE: Now I'm really curious, because "Google.com" is now no longer online... nor viewing anything. Hmmm... Anybody know anything about this?

Google.bmp

Edited by Lindzey

Lindzey, I think people are trying to figure out all the new options available. I have clicked on people's name (mine included :D ) out of curiosity and to see what all the displays are.

I have to agree that since everyone is aware of what everyone is doing, it makes me a bit reluctant to click on things :rolleyes:

Maybe's just me, but I had set up my Internet Explorer with a dual home page, it opens two tabs at once, one of them being the boards, and the first one msnbc.com. Even if I wouldn't be looking on the boards, it would display me as logged in at all times. People might think I am glued to the computer :D It kindda makes me more aware of my actions, which I don't know yet if I like. I could set my profile as invisible, I think, but what's the fun in that?! :D

Anda, I think you may have misunderstood me.

Did you click on the attachment? It isn't like "Lindzey is looking at Google.com"... it's "Google.Com is looking at blahblah's Profile".

I just think it's a bit odd, and "Google.com" isn't a registered user because the name was unclickable, just like "guest" is unclickable... and when logged in as "guest" it is impossible to change that name until either A)One registers or B)One logs in.

I'm not really scared per se, I just thought it was odd. :rolleyes:

~Lindzey

Lindzey, I understood perfectly, that is why I gave the example of myself looking at people's profiles. Meaning, I've done it myself, same as Google.com checked your profile. I also think you can see who checked your profile if you click on your own name. It saves a history of users who checked your personal profile, and you can even leave messages for other users.

You can choose to display certain info about yourself, pictures, DOB, etc. or, if you're unconfortable with people seeing this info, you can remove it.

I don't feel unconfortable with people checking my profile, but I might be slightly unnerved at the thought that everyone can see each click that everyone else makes.

:rolleyes: I don't mean to start an arguement... I think I phrased what I was trying to say wrong.

What I meant was that "Google.com" was on, not that somebody was checking out others' profiles. I don't mind that others see my birthdate and where I live (simply because I choose to not show those things online, and when I do, I am very vague) I was just confused as to why Google was on this forum.

I myself just figured out the "Last Visitor" thing about an hour or so ago. I think it's a very neat little concept. :D Please understand in no way am I trying to be rude or disrespectful. My main concern was wondering why a search engine was on these boards in the first place, regardless of if "they" were looking at profiles or threads on our cutest BC pics!

Sorry to cause confusion.

~Lindzey

Edited by Lindzey

I also think you can see who checked your profile if you click on your own name. It saves a history of users who checked your personal profile,

Anda, where in our profile does it show which users viewed it? I looked in mine but couldn't find anything.

Meanwhile, as you said in your first post, I'm clicking around on people and links and buttons more or less randomly, just to see what happens and how the options work on this board...

ETA: Ok, I just looked at yours and then mine again, and I see it now--it's hard to miss! I guess no one had viewed it yet when I looked last time.

Edited by Kelliwic Border Collies

Anda, where in our profile does it show which users viewed it? I looked in mine but couldn't find anything.

Meanwhile, as you said in your first post, I'm clicking around on people and links and buttons more or less randomly, just to see what happens and how the options work on this board...

Megan,

If you click on your own name inside this thread, there's a drop down with about 4 options, one of them being View Member Profile. Click on that. On the right side of the new page that opens, you will see a list of people who have visited your profile. On my profile I have 5 visitors :D Welcome to all of you :rolleyes:

LOL - I see that while I was typing, you figured it out all by yourslef :D

I'll use my profile as an example...

Profile.jpg

See where it's circled (sorry, that came out rude!)? That's where it'll be. If somebody views your profile, that's where it should be. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps,

~Lindzey

EDIT: Looks like you both beat me to it anyway. :D

Edited by Lindzey

Google.com is indeed a bot--it's indexing the site, and it always has. I've just found an option to make bots invisible (that is, make them so they won't show up in the list) to everyone except administrators, which I've done. I can't see any reason why users need to see when they're being indexed, but it's nice for administrators to keep track of it, since it can add a load to the server.